Rose Chafers

Susanne27(5a Ontario Canada)February 24, 2013

Is anyone else bothered by rose chafers. Here at the farm they arrive in June and stay for about 3 weeks. They land on and destroy rose buds and fully opened roses.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
marklucas

âÂÂRose Chafersâ cause major problems for roses, indeed. Adult rose chafers chew and make holes in the leaves issue between the large veins, an injury known as the âÂÂSkeletonizingâÂÂ. To prevent this; you should cover plant with a âÂÂFloating Row coverâÂÂ.

Bookmark   March 11, 2013 at 5:05AM
Susanne27(5a Ontario Canada)

Thank you for that comment marklucas. I will try that this year as I don't spray and picking these small bugs off that come in the hundreds some years is impossible. I am putting in a row of hybrid teas so that should be easy enough to cover if necessary.

Also - my roses were mostly fragrant once bloomers. The bugs got all the blossoms unless I brought them into the house right away. Now I am planting continuous bloom hoping that I will have roses after the bugs are gone.

My Austin Abraham Darby is not bothered by them because it is a late bloomer here in my cold climate. So late blooming roses are an option too as long as they leave the foliage alone.

Bookmark   March 13, 2013 at 10:34AM
marklucas

I suggest that you should plant some âÂÂAustin Abraham Darby rosesâÂÂ, in an area where they can receive a minimum of 5 hour of direct sun. Do not feed too late in their growing season; which can cause winter-kill due to the soft growth forming with fertilizing late in the season. In colder climate, the plants need some winter protection.

Bookmark   March 19, 2013 at 4:35AM
More Discussions
DA Roses That Look Washed Out
I am wondering why my DA roses Heritage and St. Swithun...
treehugger101
developing soil
We moved to central TX, a beautiful area but soils...
bluegirl_gw
Your holiday goals & losing weight & living healthy
Jim and I will be regulars in this forum, since we...
strawchicago 5a IL
Companion Flying saucers
This is one of the morning glories the hardware store...
damask55linen
just checking in
Hi Strawberry and Jim~ Happy New Year! My little jewelry...
enchantedrose
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™