Mimosa or Silk tree info?

carob(z6 Utah)May 11, 2006

One of my favorite trees is the mimosa or silk tree (Albizia julibrissin)..a popular tree in warmer climates. But I have been told that they actually can be grown in a zone 6 climate and I have seen a few mature ones in the Salt Lake area. Is there anyone out there who has had experience growing these trees? I'm thinking about planting one or two on the south side of my house.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
davealju(z5ME)

Hi, You should get the hardier variety, 'eh wilson' mimosa tree. It sounds like you have the right idea planting them on the south side of the house. There's not too much to do really, just plant and water until they get established. Btw, I know that Forest Farm carries the hardier variety. Good luck.

Bookmark   May 21, 2006 at 9:43AM
shudavies(Zone 6a, CO)

The Sunset western gardening book mentions one called 'rosea' that might be hardier too - plus it has darker pink flowers. My local nursery is trying to get that one for me. There are several that have been around here for a long time so I'm pretty confident about growing one as well.

Bookmark   May 22, 2006 at 6:58PM
carob(z6 Utah)

Thank you both for the info. They are hard to find and people at the nurserys don't seem to know much about them. I'll look for those varieties you've mentioned.

Bookmark   May 23, 2006 at 11:02PM
carob(z6 Utah)

Thank you both for the info. They are hard to find and people at the nurserys don't seem to know much about them. I'll look for those varieties you've mentioned.

Bookmark   May 23, 2006 at 11:04PM
ABQ_Bob(USDA 5a/SS 2A)

If you're interested, I've got a couple of these in my yard and it produces LOTS of seed pods. I can send a bunch of seeds for you to try and germinate if you'd like... I also get lots of volunteers in the yard too - one sprouted a about 3 years ago next to the garage in my North side yard where there's NO supplemental water and little direct sun and it's 15ft tall now. They grow very fast from seed.

My "main" tree is on the south side of my house and gets full sun and some supplemental water (not much). It has been there since I've owned the house (7 years or so) and it has a great umbrella canopy about 20-25ft tall. It's just about to start blooming, the hummingbirds love it!

Bookmark   May 26, 2006 at 5:01PM
More Discussions
Spring Swap
Hi All, as discussed at the last spring swap, my sisters...
gjmancini
What are Your Plans
... for the yard and garden, this year? Zach has some...
digit
Your Seed Catalogs
Are they showing up in the mail box? The 2015 Stokes...
digit
Anyone interested in unusual peonies take a look at Adelman's
Just got the catalog for Adelmans Peony Paradise for...
lizbest1
E-mail tree?
So, I was thinking, after the difficulty I had getting...
ZachS. z5 Littleton, CO
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™