Does anyone know what this plant is?

lillybitMay 21, 2010

Hello Everyone,

I'm hoping someone knows that this plant is. It's growing wild in my backyard next to my shed. It's more of a bush with long 'branches', has lots of yellow flowers with a slightly sweet smell. My neighbors, 2 doors down, also have had one of these plants pop up in their back yard as well, although not at large as mine.

I appreciate any input... :)

Here is a link that might be useful: Picture of the plant

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Dan Staley

You can't link to a displayed attachment. You want to open a Photobucket/Flickr/etc account, upload the pix there, then post the link. I suspect Genista lyida with the timing, but try the picture sharing site.

Dan

Bookmark   May 21, 2010 at 1:09PM
lillybit

Thanks Dan.. I've attached a new link with Photobucket. I looked up Genista lyida and that's not it...

Here is a link that might be useful:

Bookmark   May 21, 2010 at 1:52PM
celtylass

Hi everyone...I am new here but have been lurking for years. ΓΆΒΊ I am wondering if this plant is a yellow flowering current. I had a volunteer come up in my yard several years ago and finally figured out that that was what it was. Yours sounds very similar to mine Lillybit. I couldn't pull up your photo though.

Bookmark   May 21, 2010 at 3:11PM
Skybird - z5, Denver, Colorado

I don't have any idea what the plant is (tho I just checked a pic of yellow flowering currant, and I bet CeltyLass is right!) but I just wanted to say welcome to RMG to both of you, LillyBit and CeltyLass! We're glad you've both decided to register and join us! New (green) blood is always welcome around here!

And I bet Dan will be along shortly to verify that it's that currant!

Welcome, both of you, to RMG,
Skybird

Bookmark   May 21, 2010 at 3:29PM
lillybit

Thanks Celtylass... I think you might be right.. (I don't know what I did wrong with the picture, but have another link that hopefully works). If it is a yellow flowering currant, won't the berries be edible then? That would be awesome!! :)

Here is a link that might be useful: Mystery Plant

Bookmark   May 21, 2010 at 3:35PM
Dan Staley

Ribes odoratum going with the one pic. Second doesn't work. Edible frs., we're going to plant 'Crandall' as soon as I get the extra soil to mound up.

I'm fascinated with the volunteers popping up, I wish the birds would do that around here...

And what Skybird said. Welcome.

Dan

Bookmark   May 21, 2010 at 3:54PM
lillybit

Thanks Dan. I'm convinced you're all correct and a volunteer 'Crandall' is now gracing my back yard. Really, it's a quite beautiful plant. :) I'm really looking forward to the currant berries this fall.. With as big as the plant is and the numerous blooms.. I would think I should have an abundance of berries come fall. Currant jam is the first thing that comes to mind.. :)

And Thanks for the welcome!

Bookmark   May 21, 2010 at 4:31PM
plantladyco

Heads up from another Colo Spgs gardener....if you want currents, you'll have to cover that bush.
Squirrels will fight you for them!

Bookmark   May 22, 2010 at 10:34AM
celtylass

Thanks for the welcome! I have found that this plant does not like wet feet at all. It does smell divine when it is in bloom! Sure wish this wind would stop!!

Bookmark   May 22, 2010 at 1:22PM
Dan Staley

Maybe Santa can bring you a berry rake for an early giftie. Much easier.

Dan

Bookmark   May 22, 2010 at 3:11PM
More Discussions
RMG - How do I do it -- Where do I find it thread!
Hi all, I just thought I'd start a thread here for...
Skybird - z5, Denver, Colorado
What are Your Plans
... for the yard and garden, this year? Zach has some...
digit
Spring Swap official site
Good Day all, Just wanted to start an official site...
gjmancini
Food Quiz
I gotta get outside and get to work in all this sunshine...
digit
Howdy from Montana
Howdy to all you Rocky Mountain folks. . . I cant believe...
maidinmontana
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™