Mr. Blue Bird?

maple_man(z7 DC)May 24, 2006

It's a very old rose (i put it in a pot two years ago, before then the trunk was under ground)we think it was at the house in 1957 when we moved in. we think it was old then. we think it maybe 50 to 100 years old. it looks like a miniature called "Mr. Blue Bird" but that i think is a 1960 intro and this has got to be older then that.

Image link:

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
maple_man(z7 DC)

Oops.. my photo has the wrong date. - the defalt when i changed the camera batteries. it should say 5-19-06. also i will will try to post a close up of flowers later.

Bookmark   May 24, 2006 at 5:20AM
cecilia_md7a(7a/Baltimore,MD)

Wow, a bonsai rose!

Do the flowers have white centers? (I can't tell by the photo.) If so, it could be the polyantha Baby Faurax (1924) or the polyantha Raymond Privat (1935).

Bookmark   May 24, 2006 at 9:23AM
maple_man(z7 DC)

Cecilia, i should have thought of you and taken it to the spring swap but i feared it would fry in the car. Yes, there is a little white at the very center but it's hardly noticeable. i have two photos of the flowers - may have to post them sepertly. As for color: On the H.R.S. colour chart it is Fan 2 - Red - Purple Group # 67 A or B (some of both) I also have 'Botanica's ROSES'book, (it's about two inches thick with ID photos of amost 2000 roses) and on page 591 is a photo of one called 'Mr. Bluebird' my rose bonsai looks just like that photo. I will make note of the two you pointed out and look them up. Thanks, ~ Brian

Bookmark   May 25, 2006 at 12:43AM
trospero(8)

Brian,
I have looked at your other photos and this is definitely not 'Mr. Bluebird'. It is, however, some kind of Polyantha, but which one I don't know. There are many that look a lot like this. Good luck.

Paul

Bookmark   May 25, 2006 at 11:10AM
More Discussions
Need to Identify This Rose!
Last summer I decided to go ahead and test this rose...
weberriver
identify this amazing rose for me please!!!
Hello I woiuld greatly appreciate if any of you could...
lcadem
old rose ID1
This rose is a low bush (to 80 cm) growing under a...
dkelch
Please ID this rose
see 4 photos Please let me know if you need more photos...
gcotterl
Please help me ID these two floral roses
I had 2 floral roses about ten years ago. I grafted...
gardentiller
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™