Natural Protection for Roses & Shrubs Against Diseases & Insects

valygirlMay 12, 2014

Hello, I would appreciate suggestions for sprays or something you can do IN ADVANCE to protect plants against diseases, aphids, etc. I used to use Bayer products until someone on Amazon posted that they are toxic to honey bees. I would like to protect newly planted roses. Also every year my Rose of Sharon shrubs are attacked by aphids & last year my Autumn Amber Sumacs were covered with them. Also, Coneflower plants get nice & full & then the leaves get huge holes in them. Assuming this is grasshoppers?

Thanks so much for your help.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mstywoods(z5, Westminster, CO)

I read that onions and chives help keep aphids off of roses, so last year I planted some chives by both of mine. Can't say at this point if it's helping or not, but figured it's worth a shot, and the purple flowers look nice :)

Here's an article about it, with more info on other companion planting: http://homeguides.sfgate.com/companion-plants-really-keep-aphids-away-roses-31294.html

Bookmark   May 12, 2014 at 7:39PM
bugdoctor(5 CO)

I think you should research neem oil and see if it will fit the bill for your needs. I mix only a few ounces of neem oil with a few ounces of dyna gro pro tect silicon supplement with about 32 ounces of water in a standard hardware store spray bottle. I apply it in the evenings after the heat of the day when I notice aphids on plants. Works like a charm. You will need to reapply if you see the aphids or feeding reappearing, but it only takes a few seconds to spray a mist over the aphids and the adjacent leaves.

It sounds like you are interested in a product that will be safe and effective, which this fits that description. It is extracted from the seeds of the neem tree found in Afro-tropical regions. I've seen a video of a guy drinking it.

It is so safe I have used it as a lotion to repel Mosquitos in a mixture of coconut oil. Doesn't smell real great so the coconut oil hides the neem odor, but it works and I don't have to use DEET.

In my opinion, spraying plants with insecticides without insects as a preventive measure only enables insects to build a resistance to the active ingredients. The neonicitinoids in Bayer products are suspected of causing colony collapse disorder in honey bees. No need to mess with the pollinators to kill a few aphids.

The huge holes in the Echinacea's may be grasshoppers, but might be earwigs or something else. The neem oil will for sure deter the foliar feeding if you can keep applying when you notice it.

I gave a few ounces to a guy starting apple trees from seed he brought to Colorado from Michigan. He had aphids in the worst way and the neem oil killed and deterred subsequent issues after only three sprays within a week.

Anyhow, I hope this helps and you can avoid insecticidal use without a target.

Here is a link that might be useful: Neem oil

Bookmark   May 12, 2014 at 9:20PM
valygirl

Thanks so much, that sounds very interesting. I am looking up Neem oil right now on the 'net!

Bookmark   May 21, 2014 at 10:02AM
amester(Z4/5)

My roses get aphids every year - I start with water blasts to knock them off of the plants, but if that doesn't do it I turn to NEEM oil. It's awesome, even cured my apple tree's ongoing woolly aphid infestation.
I use it sparingly and only when I feel things have gotten out of hand bug-wise, but it really does the trick.

Bookmark   June 4, 2014 at 6:47PM
More Discussions
Something New in the Tomato Patch
Often, I have allowed a volunteer tomato to grow each...
digit
What are Your Plans
... for the yard and garden, this year? Zach has some...
digit
Batten down the hatches!
Hi all, Well, NOAA just changed the Front Range (and...
Skybird - z5, Denver, Colorado
Lettuce without direct sun?
Hi, everyone! I'm thinking of putting a raised Bed...
flowerridge
Spring Swap official site
Good Day all, Just wanted to start an official site...
gjmancini
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™