need advice on buying 'Thrip Predators'

wildlifegardenMarch 15, 2007

hi all,

I was looking at buying beneficial nematodes for $47 and then found another web site that sells a group of beneficials for $59 which include, ladybugs, nematodes, Thrip Predators (Ambnlyeius cucumeris), and praying mantis egg case....do you all think this would be a good purchase? I was initially looking cuz I think I have thrips and of course in florida, I know have our regular nematodes that have killed other plants in my garden.

will the beneficial nematodes eat thrips and spider mites or should I spend a few extra bucks and get a predator who specifically eats the bugs I have????

thanks, michelle

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
all_bout_flowers

Hi Michelle,
I don't know anything about beneficial insects, but one thing I found works pretty well at controlling thrips here where I live in Oregon is a piece of bright blue foam that is found in a craft store or some meat markets use this same color blue to package their meats. I put staple it to a garden stake and then put tangle foot on it, place it right next to my plant that seems to attract thrips. I lost a whole bed of glads to thrips last year unfortunelty, I did not know about this color blue attracting them until later. If you do this soon enough it will bring them to a small toloration.
Now I have to get some out soon before they start multiplying.
Kathy

Bookmark   March 22, 2007 at 12:38PM
margenorman(9)

What is tangle foot? I am willing to use it.

Bookmark   March 29, 2007 at 11:44PM
treelover(z8b SoCtrlTX)

It must be something sticky that traps them. Have never used it myself, but it looks interesting.

Here is a link that might be useful: Tanglefoot

Bookmark   March 30, 2007 at 3:41PM
annafl(z9b/10a Sarasota)

Michelle, see my above post to miss em about my experience with beneficial nematodes. I have no experience with the thrip predators, tho.

Anna

Bookmark   May 29, 2007 at 9:27PM
More Discussions
Companion Flying saucers
This is one of the morning glories the hardware store...
damask55linen
Reblooming, Fragrant, Disease Resistant Climbers?
I'm trying to find this for an arch so 10-12'. I have...
treehugger101
Roses & stuff (near winter)
Decided to just put Mister Lincolns container into...
jim1961 Zone 6a Central Pa.
Leaves on bushes
I have been waiting for the leaves on my rose bushes...
smdmt
developing soil
We moved to central TX, a beautiful area but soils...
bluegirl_gw
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™