I need help id ing a plant!

matoad_gwMay 16, 2009

I know there is a place to post my question but since I live in Arvada and figure people here might know this plant, I will try here! This very low to the ground plant just appeared last yr- a ground cover type with leaves that look like strawberry plants- had little red flowers last summer and now has yellow flowers about size of a quarter- it is spreading out. I would send pic but have not figured out how to do. It loves the eastern sun and doesn't mind getting really dry. Thank you for any help!!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jclepine(8b)

Hmmm, my first guess would be cinquefoil. Some cinquefoils are weeds and should be removed. Not sure if it is what you have but it is the only thing I can think of.

The first link, copy and paste into your browser, is a google image search for "cinquefoil weed colorado".

The clickable link is a google image search for "cinquefoil".

If it looks like it could be a cinquefoil, do your own research before deciding if it can stay of if it needs to be removed!!

http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&hs=hW3&q=cinquefoil%20weed%20colorado&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wi

Good luck IDing this!

Here is a link that might be useful: cinquefoil

Bookmark   May 16, 2009 at 1:48PM
matoad_gw

Oh my goodness!! An answer so quickly- yes, I think it is the rough cinquefoil. When I noticed the flowers were yellow this yr and remembered they were red last summer, I thought of potentilla and it looks as if they are related. Wow, as for removing, that is hard for me to do except when it comes to vineweed. This stuff is not choking anything yet. Thank you so much for helping me!!

Bookmark   May 16, 2009 at 4:16PM
dan_staley(5b/SS 2b AHS 6-7)

Yup. Cinquefoil.

Dan

Bookmark   May 16, 2009 at 4:19PM
More Discussions
Plant protection after this spring in February
Hi, I have some daffodils and tulips moving right along....
jerrym303
roof ice damming in Denver area?
I know this isn't garden related, but was wondering...
mstywoods
getting ready!
So I decided to remodel my seed starting this year....
ZachS. z5 Littleton, CO
I could build that!
Well, why not ? No, that floor isn't sloping. There's...
digit
Lettuce without direct sun?
Hi, everyone! I'm thinking of putting a raised Bed...
flowerridge
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™