Ladybugs...Wow!

cambel(z6-7a DC)April 14, 2012

I used to use Bayer 3 in 1, and I do have to say, no pests, very little blackspot, however, I had hardly any worms in the soil and the few that were there were weak and off colored.

A few years now of not using any chemicals, huge numbers of worms, but tons of aphids. I ordered some live ladybugs, and wow!

Two days later, and all the aphids are gone, most of the ladybugs have flown but about 20 seem to have stayed possibly laying eggs. My neighbors have commented that THEIR roses have no aphids now too. Defilntly will be doing this again next year.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
strawchicago 5a IL(zone 5a)

I had the same experience as you did. Thanks for sharing. Please let me know where you order the ladybugs and the cost. I have the orange ladybugs, but not the bright red ones. The orange ones bite.

Bookmark   May 11, 2012 at 7:09PM
RpR_(3-4)

ALL Ladybugs bite, just that some are a bit more ornery.

Bookmark   May 16, 2012 at 2:25PM
taoseeker

Hmm, it is not the grown bugs that are known to eat a lot of aphids, but the black larvaes (or nymphes?) does. They look nothing like the red lady bugs. There is a super efficient wasp though, that layes eggs in the aphids, and withing in a few days they are all dead. Maybe you had a visit of a few of those?

Bookmark   June 5, 2012 at 8:13PM
More Discussions
Your holiday goals & losing weight & living healthy
Jim and I will be regulars in this forum, since we...
strawchicago 5a IL
Bouquets of no-spray roses
Roses can be beautiful with no-spray, less chemicals....
strawchicago 5a IL
Leaves on bushes
I have been waiting for the leaves on my rose bushes...
smdmt
Which Rose Do You Love/Hate?
I would love to hear about roses that drive you crazy...
treehugger101
The Alnwick or Harlow Carr?
Replacing a "hedge" of Heritage with something...
treehugger101
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™