Keeping Aphids away with Sunflowers and Nasturtiums

rini(Rochester, NY)April 2, 2004

Hi!

I went to a companion planting class and the instructor told us that you can keep aphids away from your roses by planting nasturtiums and/or sunflowers near by (not in the same bed).

She said the nasturtiums would be "sacrificial" plants in that you would have to clip off the aphid-infested parts and discard, but the sunflower is hardy enough to withstand an aphid attack.

Has anyone ever tried this method?

thanks

Rini

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Loribird(z7 western NC)

It sounds like the sunflowers and nasturtiums are decoys. I've heard that clover, mint, and pennyroyal discourage aphids by their smell. My grandmother swore by onions and the onion flowers are actually interesting in a flower garden. I have garlic planted with mine but its too early to tell if it works. They say catnip works but I'd be careful where I plant it. In the right place it would lure cats away from the roses, but in the wrong place it would draw them in. My catnip is in a corner with spearmint in a container in the other corner and garlic all in between.

I don't know if these will actually help, but I figured it couldn't hurt and its an excuse to buy more plants. :^)

Lori

Bookmark   April 3, 2004 at 11:44AM
More Discussions
Which Rose Do You Love/Hate?
I would love to hear about roses that drive you crazy...
treehugger101
just checking in
Hi Strawberry and Jim~ Happy New Year! My little jewelry...
enchantedrose
Roses & stuff #5 (Winding down)
Today I noticed almost all the Petunias took a nose-dive...
jim1961 Zone 6a Central Pa.
Container Roses grown organically
Hello, let me first say I am in awe of all the beautiful...
krikit
Rose gardens & bouquets of organic roses
I start this thread to post pics. of rose gardens,...
strawchicago 5a IL
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™