green bhuts and douglahs

scorpion_john(6)September 26, 2012

i sacrificed a few of my plants today. Cut down 2 bhuts on each side of the bhut thats growing the tails, to try and make more ripen faster. And cut down 2 douglahs clearing them away from my favorite that i plan to dig and overwinter. I got 230 decent sized green pods, i didn't bother saving the smaller ones. Any ideas on what to do with them?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
woohooman

John:

I tried one of my superhots(I'm told it's a naga-cross) when it was green(unripe) and it had the heat level of about an anaheim(no heat). Then I tried one when it was ripe and i doubt if I'll ever do that again -- in other words, burn that just wouldn't quit!

I hope you don't run into the same thing picking yours before their prime.

Kevin

Bookmark   September 26, 2012 at 8:39PM
scorpion_john(6)

Kevin - thanks, i know they are not nearly as hot green. I had a reason to get rid of them, if u look at my post stinging bhuts, i am trying to get more to ripen of
f this plant cause its getting late in the season. I also tried them green all summer some were mild like u said and some were pretty hot. Very inconsistant. I have too many plants and peppers so no big deal. Only picked the pods cause i was getting rid of the plants to try and help the stinging bhut , John

Bookmark   September 26, 2012 at 9:41PM
woohooman

You can always try the old "hang the whole plant upside down in the garage, roots and all" trick. They just might turn.

/shrug

Kevin

Bookmark   September 26, 2012 at 11:39PM
habjolokia

Make green sauces, add to chili, mix in with foods, slice and put on sandwiches

Bookmark   September 27, 2012 at 12:02AM
Armageddon

you can leave the pods on the branches put the plant in a jug of water with a air pump from fish tank or i have a few other ways that will work if you really want them to ripe for ya ....let me know .

Bookmark   September 27, 2012 at 12:17AM
woohooman

Take them on vacation with you, Armageddon.

;)

Kevin

Bookmark   September 27, 2012 at 12:51AM
DMForcier(8 DFW)

I've been chomping the pods dropped from my fatalii. The heat level depends on size. The smaller ones have no heat at all. At roughly 75% the size of the mature pod they have considerable heat, and full-size green pods are roughly equivalent to the ripe ones. The green flavor never really goes away until ripe, but the "habanero" tang comes up with the heat. I would use the larger green pods as I would the ripe ones.

Bookmark   September 27, 2012 at 12:34PM
More Discussions
Removing aphids from seedlings?
This is the first year I've had this problem. My seedlings...
bella_trix
Why did my Habaneros and Scotch Bonnets grow like this?
Good evening, I planted and have been growing for habanero,...
h1nsen
First orange hab pods forming
With the spring weather conditions outside setting in...
SoCarRob (Zone 7)
Hate the new layout
How about you? Usually, I don't care, but this blows. Kevin...
woohooman
Show Your Seedlings
After all that work, gathering seeds, trying to germinate,...
Seysonn_ 7b-WA/HZ1
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™