do you use household bleach.....

deafblossom(z7AR)April 26, 2006

I found the homemade receipt in my rose magazine. Powdery mildew/blackspot to thrip. Combines 1/4 cup of household bleach in 3 gallons of water and sprays it on plant when problems starts. So.. I am wondering if... Have you tried it? Is it safe to use it? Thank you, Kat

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
seamommy(7bTX)

That sounds like a good recipe for cleaning floors, but I don't think I'd use that much bleach on a plant. You would sterilze countertops and dishes with that much bleach. oh, it might be a good proportion for sterilizing bypass pruners when you're trimming off diseased rose canes.

But there are much less poisonous recipes for powdery mildew and blackspot. Check the FAQ's for good and truely organic recipes for combating those diseases. Cheryl

Bookmark   April 27, 2006 at 6:50PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Kimmsr(4a/5b-MI)

Bleach is pretty potent stuff to use in the garden, a 1 part bleach to 10 parts water solution is used as a major disinfectant in hospitals, resturants, and many other places. It is what is used to clean up body fluids after an accident. A 50/50 solution of fat free milk and water works wonders, or 1 teaspoon baking soda in 1 quart of water sprayed every 5 to 7 days if there is an active Black Spot or Powdery Mildew presence, or every 7 to 10 days to keep that from occurng.

Bookmark   May 8, 2006 at 4:26PM
More Discussions
Leaves on bushes
I have been waiting for the leaves on my rose bushes...
smdmt
Roses & stuff #5 (Winding down)
Today I noticed almost all the Petunias took a nose-dive...
jim1961 Zone 6a Central Pa.
Vinegar for black spots
I just received my Gardening Life magazine and noticed...
Millie500
FRAGRANT Roses! Hoping to find the perfect one for my yard
And I think I've come to the perfect place (I see you...
alioca
developing soil
We moved to central TX, a beautiful area but soils...
bluegirl_gw
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™