Rain and hail on my little sprouts

TfourMay 21, 2011

We've gotten SO much rain here in Boulder lately, and yesterday I guess there was hail and high wind with it too. Earlier in the week we had just transplanted some starts of chard, spinach and lettuce into the raised bed. Today, after yesterday's storm, they're flattened - wilted, sad, limp.

Is there any chance they'll bounce back? Or should I forge ahead and re-plant something?

Sad day - I'm fairly new at this, and this is the first time we've had this plot.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jnfr(z5b CO)

If the growing tip is smashed, it would be better to replant. You should be able to tell within a few days if the plants begin growing again.

Sorry for your baby plant loss. We've all had hail problems at times and it can be devastating.

Bookmark   May 21, 2011 at 4:02PM
Skybird - z5, Denver, Colorado

Hi Tfour,

If they're just flattened/smashed down into the soil, very gently lift them to get them unstuck from the surface of the soil and see how they look in a few days. My lettuce and spinach were completely stuck to the soil a couple days ago too. I don't have much, but it looks like it's going to recover at this point.

Welcome to RMG,
Skybird

Bookmark   May 21, 2011 at 6:41PM
dan_staley(5b/SS 2b AHS 6-7)

Lots of us on the Front Range had leaf damage. Typical. Usually stuff pops back, and I agree that if the tips are shredded its a goner. I might lose one pepper from last week. But I'll take the rain, if only to lower the drought condition from severe to moderate.

BTW if I may, IMHO getting a little late for starting cool seasons - even at 45 days for lettuce and spinach, that is July and temps in the 80s will bolt them. Others may disagree & can chime in, but shade cloth in the foothills sounds like a tree ornament. I have spinach in the ground but harvested all my chard and lettuce (to make room for warm-seasons). Just a thought & hopefully cool spring will continue & not a problem.

Dan

Bookmark   May 21, 2011 at 6:48PM
More Discussions
Ready for Harvest :o)
Here's what some of the plants look like in my greenhouse...
digit
Anybody bored...wanna play a guessing game?!
Trying to figure out what this bush is. This photo...
lkcrawford
Batten down the hatches!
Hi all, Well, NOAA just changed the Front Range (and...
Skybird - z5, Denver, Colorado
Anyone interested in unusual peonies take a look at Adelman's
Just got the catalog for Adelmans Peony Paradise for...
lizbest1
I Think I'd Have Trouble in Denver
... or most anywhere in Colorado! Such high elevations....
digit
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™