help with thrips

lauriefbq(z7TN)May 30, 2004

Hi everyone! I have been on another rose forum for a while and can not believe the amount of chemicals being used.I have always been organic and decided to finally look you guys up.I am in Knoxville,Tn and new to this area.Have never had a thrip problem before now.I am spraying with Safer insecticidal soap but have used a whole bottle and no change.All of my yellows and pink blends are suffering even the minis.PLease advise! - Laurie

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
michaelg(7a NC Mts)

The main predators of thrips are orius bugs (minute pirate bug and insidious pirate bug). These are flat black bugs about the size of a paper match head with a triangle design in the middle of the back. If you see some of these in the flowers, maybe they will gain control of thrips after a while. Usually thrips are less of a problem in the second flush.

Thrips populations apparently vary from year to year with the weather, and usually it is a temporary and minor problem in an organic garden. If it's intolerable for you this year, spraying the flowers and upper foliage every 2-3 days with pyrethrins (considered organic) will knock the population down. It will also kill the orius bugs if you have any.

Also see posts on this board about beneficial nematodes.

Bookmark   May 31, 2004 at 11:02AM
More Discussions
developing soil
We moved to central TX, a beautiful area but soils...
bluegirl_gw
Your holiday goals & losing weight & living healthy
Jim and I will be regulars in this forum, since we...
strawchicago 5a IL
Reblooming, Fragrant, Disease Resistant Climbers?
I'm trying to find this for an arch so 10-12'. I have...
treehugger101
Homemade Insecticidal Soap Formula
Today I visited John Starnes' blog: Rosegasms And I...
sandandsun
just checking in
Hi Strawberry and Jim~ Happy New Year! My little jewelry...
enchantedrose
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™