Will Cornell spray help with sawfly larvae?

MollyS(z6TN)May 8, 2004

Hello-

Couldn't decide where to post this one, and I wasn't able to find an answer doing a "search" of the forums.

Can anyone tell me if the Cornell spray recipe will kill sawfly larvae (I have too many to pick off of the plants)?

Also, will it hurt the ladybugs or other beneficials that are visiting the plants?

Thanks-

-MollyS

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Kimm1(4a/5b-MI)

That is a fungicide, not a pesticide. Won't do anything for the sawfly larva.

Bookmark   May 9, 2004 at 6:43AM
jean001(z8aPortland, OR)

Nitpicking mode on:

Pesticide is an umbrella term.

Thus,
A fungicide is a pesticide;
An insecticide is a pesticide;
The Cornell formula is a fungicide, which is a pesticde.

Mode off.

Bookmark   May 9, 2004 at 1:15PM
Piglet_in_MD(zone 6/7)

Hi all,

Actually, I think this is a very good question. The two organic means to control sawfly larvae that I've seen are insecticidal soap and Hort oil (I guess they are both considered organic?). Cornell mixture has Hort oil in it.

We wanted to spray with Cornell, AND we had (have) sawfly larvae, so we thought we'd see if it helped. I think (from memory - please don't go by me for these amounts) the Cornell mixture says 2 Tablespoons Hort Oil per gallon. The Hort oil says 2.5 - 5 Tablespoons per gallon for insect control (and it lists sawfly larvae). My husband sprayed with the typical Cornell amount - 2 Tablespoons. He drenched Heritage, which is being eaten alive by them, including the undersides, and they survived. Hmmm. So - it might have worked, but he didn't use enough I guess.

The next week I sprayed with Insecticidal Soap (Concern), drenched them. No sign of them on Heritage anymore (what's left of its leaves), but I did see some still on other roses I treated. Rather frustrating.

So - is there any harm in just upping the amount of the Hort Oil in the Cornell mixture to kill two birds (or rather, one bug and one fungus) with one stone (or spray)?? Can I spray Cornell again or just Hort Oil within 2 weeks of the first Cornell application?

Any thoughts on that?

Judy G. in MD

Bookmark   May 11, 2004 at 10:06PM
michaelg(7a NC Mts)

Judy G, just guessing, but I think if you increase the hort oil, it might be better to spray only oil and water. Both oil and baking soda are somewhat phytotoxic, so the foliage might better stand 3 or 4 TB of oil if there is no baking soda or soap. Besides, you only need spray the affected areas to control the rose slugs.

Bookmark   May 26, 2004 at 5:13PM
Field

Spraying and coating any insect pest with an oil will certainly give it a sick feeling, if not kill it outright. So, to answer your quastion, yes, the Cornell formula will help with sawfly larva. It will also smother any remaining eggs.

Bookmark   May 26, 2004 at 5:24PM
elsch

My regular formula is
4 tsp baking soda
2 tbsp. canola oil
1 tbsp. dish soap

However, in earlier spring, when I was particularly concerned about rose slug,s I added about 5 tbsp. canola oil and 2or 3 tbsp. dish soap to one batch that I sprayed. I did have a small amount of burnt foliage, so now I've gone back to the usual 2 tbsp canola oil.

Things are a little better this spring than last in the rose slug department.

I might try the same with hort. oil in the future.

Bookmark   May 27, 2004 at 4:43PM
Sharon_P(z4/Minnesota)

Elvie--is that recipe mixed with water or used straight? I'm assuming it's diluted in some way, so would appreciate the ratio. I get slugs on my Thomas Lipton shrub roses and was planning on just digging them up this year, but I'd like to have a go at saving them if I can.

Bookmark   May 31, 2004 at 7:31PM
allisons

Sharon_P, I assume you've figured it out by now. But I tried the recipe in 24 oz. of water and it burnt my rose a little. I would recommend diluting it in at least 2 quarts of water.

Bookmark   July 27, 2008 at 1:00PM
More Discussions
Vinegar for black spots
I just received my Gardening Life magazine and noticed...
Millie500
Bouquets of no-spray roses
Roses can be beautiful with no-spray, less chemicals....
strawchicago
Favorite Companion Plant for roses
hi Friends, I started a few (quite a few) seeds this...
mas_loves_roses1
good tasting rose hips
On Antique Rose Forum I asked if anyone had found the...
damask55linen
Reblooming, Fragrant, Disease Resistant Climbers?
I'm trying to find this for an arch so 10-12'. I have...
treehugger101
Sponsored Products
American Made Rayne Tall Driftwood White Mirror
Overstock.com
Deep Lichen Green Cleo 24" Wide Pendant Chandelier
Lamps Plus
Locking Hex Runner 2'4" x 6'7" - BROWN
$79.00 | Horchow
52" Casa Vieja Paseo Energy Efficient White LED Ceiling Fan
Lamps Plus
Textured Lines Rug 8' x 10' - BEIGE
$2,599.00 | Horchow