the most bodacious pink rose ever!

msbumble(z6 NJ)May 22, 2012

Can you help me ID (or even just categorize) this rose? It is close to 6 ft tall, blooms prolifically in spite of neglect, and has been on the property for at least 25 years. The blooms do not seem to be highly fragrant. It has been entirely pest and disease-free the whole time. Follow link to photos of blooms, base, and overall shape.

Thanks.

Here is a link that might be useful: Name me

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
donaldvancouver(cool wet z8)

Queen Elizabeth?

Here is a link that might be useful: Queen E on Helpmefind

Bookmark   May 22, 2012 at 10:12PM
msbumble(z6 NJ)

Re Queen Elizabeth - I'm pretty sure this isn't it. QE is thornless for one thing, it's buds are pointed which these are not, and the flower is different in color and shape. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Bookmark   May 23, 2012 at 8:58AM
rosetom(7 Atl)

QE is not thornless, but I agree that there's no way it could be QE. My best classic pinks after QE are Tiffany and Bewitched. It's not Tiffany, but there is a possibility that it could be Bewitched. Take a look at the "Photos" tab here:
http://www.helpmefind.com/rose/l.php?l=2.676&tab=36

Bewitched came out in 1967, so it easily fits your age requirement.

Bookmark   May 24, 2012 at 8:22AM
msbumble(z6 NJ)

Bewitched is very close, but I don't think that's it. My rose blossoms have more petals & look different before opening. The lower stems have a lot more thorns as well. What type of rose is Bewitched?
Thanks,
MsB

Bookmark   May 24, 2012 at 10:13PM
rosetom(7 Atl)

Well, it was just a guess. Looking again at your pics, if that fence is at least 3 feet tall (or more?), I think what you have is a Climber of some sort. Bewitched is a Hybrid Tea (your blooms definitely have the form of a hybrid tea). It can get to 6-8 feet in a good growing season, but yours looks much taller than that.

There are many Climbers that have hybrid tea form, and many hybrid teas have a Climber "sport" version.

Bookmark   May 25, 2012 at 8:53AM
diane_nj 6b/7a

There is a rose show at the Moorestown Mall in Moorestown, NJ tomorrow (May 26) opening at 1 PM. If you bring a bloom and some of the foliage, someone there may be able to help identify. There are a lot of pink hybrid teas, and it can be difficult to match via photo due to variations in color and petal count due to weather.

Bookmark   May 25, 2012 at 9:55AM
msbumble(z6 NJ)

I always thought Hybrid Teas tended to be less robust and very disease-prone. Am I wrong about that?
Thanks for mentioning the rose show; though I won't make it to this one it's a resource I hadn't though of.

Bookmark   May 25, 2012 at 5:36PM
seil zone 6b MI

It depends more on the individual variety than the class. Some HTs are very vigorous growers, fairly disease resistant and winter hardy. And then then there are some shrubs and even OGRs that are wimpy growers and disease magnets. It all depends on the rose and the spot it's planted in.

Bookmark   May 29, 2012 at 7:19PM
Krista_5NY

At first I wondered about Aloha, but it is described as a fragrant rose.

Here is a link that might be useful: Aloha at Helpmefind

Bookmark   June 2, 2012 at 9:27PM
ingrid_vc(Z10 SoCal)

I wonder if it could be the climber Viking Queen?

Bookmark   June 3, 2012 at 8:02PM
paulacummings

Aloha ages to a paler pink on the outside petals as the bloom ages. Otherwise it looks like Aloha to me as well.

Bookmark   June 20, 2012 at 8:52PM
More Discussions
Please ID this rose
see 4 photos Please let me know if you need more photos...
gcotterl
The name of the rose
While searching for yellow roses on Google a couple...
johnb45
Huge Rose Identification Help!!!
Hey guys, long time no see... So i was eating at my...
bonsaimaster1
Three many petalled roses: yellow and pink/apricot - lots of pics
Hello! First let me tell you that I am not at all aware...
karatepop
identify this amazing rose for me please!!!
Hello I woiuld greatly appreciate if any of you could...
lcadem
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™