Please help salvage my Climbers

cbarkstonMay 30, 2005

I posted this on the regular forum and want to know if there's anything I can do organically to salvage 5 large climbers loaded with blackspot. Cornell formula is just not doing it (works great on my hybrid teas though). I waivered on the organic commitment and tried Bayer All in One which didn't help either. Don't want to spray a bunch of toxic stuff but really don't want to shovel prune even more (they are all blooming gloriously right now and my heart is breaking over the blackspot). Help?!!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Sophie Wheeler

Sulpher is the most effective organic fungicide. It too has to be sprayed as a preventative, as that is how any fungicide works. From your list of climbers on the other thread though, I really think that thinning the herd is the way to go if you want to be organic. None on your list is in any way particularly resistant to disease, and fighting this fight with those roses is going to leave you frustrated. Or, really research (not the hearsay studies often posted on this forum) non organic methods of disease control which will allow you to keep your current roses. Not everything "organic" is safe, nor is everything "chemical" unsafe. Many of the newer high tech chemicals require less per dose, less often spraying, and have a much safer profile. It's all in the products you choose. Below is a scientific based site that gives you informatinon a wide variety of chemicals.

Here is a link that might be useful: Extonet

Bookmark   May 30, 2005 at 5:30PM
cbarkston

HollySprings: Hey, thanks for the link. I've put it in my Favorites and will spend some time there---looks useful for things other than gardening as well. You know, I had been using the sulfur as a dormant spray (or actually my 1st spray in Feb. after pruning)but a local rose society guy has been insisting that dormant spraying is a waste of time. I'll go back to it...

Bookmark   May 30, 2005 at 6:41PM
threeducks(z5-MI)

Once they are covered in blackspot, there is nothing organic or non-organic you can do. The key to control of blackspot is to spray before you see it. The goal is to prevent it, because you cannot reverse it once it hits. If you start spraying something now (organic or non-organic), it will protect the new leaves that are growing.

Bookmark   May 30, 2005 at 6:54PM
msjean(Z6..NS...Canada)

A lot of people claim that vinegar works wonders on heavy blackspotted bushes. Here's an old thread discussing it. It's worth a try...... :))

Here is a link that might be useful: vinegar for blackspot

Bookmark   May 31, 2005 at 3:08PM
More Discussions
good tasting rose hips
On Antique Rose Forum I asked if anyone had found the...
damask55linen
Evaluation of Flowering Pattern, Yield and Yield Determinants of Hybri
Title: Evaluation of Flowering Pattern, Yield and Yield...
henry_kuska
Products & recipes that you love & roses that give joy: Part I
Since the other thread got too long, I start a new...
strawchicago
Balanced and less fertilizer is best for plants
EarthCo. that tested my soil recommended adding phosphorus....
strawchicago
The Alnwick or Harlow Carr?
Replacing a "hedge" of Heritage with something...
treehugger101
Sponsored Products
Queen 400TC Palm Springs Block Sheet Set - WHITE/TURQUOISE
$155.90 | Horchow
Elk Lighting 111-1088 Sycamore Hill Table Lamp - 111-1088
$130.00 | Hayneedle
Premier Classic Rectangular Pot Rack with Center Bar - PR1CB-HS
$509.99 | Hayneedle
Floating Medallions Rug 6' Round - SILVER
$439.00 | Horchow
AICO Furniture - Essex Manor Eastern King Poster Bed - N76000EKP-57
Great Furniture Deal