Thrips control nematodes question

jillca(5a/Denver)May 16, 2006

I used to find information about thrips control using beneficial nematodes on a web site called hiredbugs.com. The website doesn't exist anymore in the form that I remember. No nematodes, just organic chemical sprays. Does anyone know/remember a company that has them and the actual name of the neatode that controlled them? If I remember correctly, there were two types of nematodes.

jill

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dmg2242

I just came across nematodes at gardensalive.com. There are apparently nematodes for the northern and southern areas.

Hope you find what you need!

Bookmark   May 16, 2006 at 10:11PM
barb422(z6 UT)

It's at Natures Control. They have a button that says 'Our Hired Bugs' The 'double death' mix has two varieties of nematode. I put some on last week and I hope they work.

I got them cheaper by ordering them from a local dealer. The shipping is much more expensive if you order direct. They also have a button to find a dealer in your area.

Here is a link that might be useful: Natures Control

Bookmark   May 17, 2006 at 9:59AM
organicsweetpea

HI,
I just transplanted lamb's ear to around my roses. It is suppose to contron thrips. I haven't had any changes to post, of course, for I did it yesterday. I've read quite a bit and found several sources recommending this for thrips.
Thanks

Bookmark   June 5, 2006 at 11:51AM
gw:organic-kiki

Sweetpea, does it make a difference what kind of lamb's ear you plant? I know of 2 different blooming lamb's ears and recently saw one at the garden center that does not bloom. This sounds interesting.

Kiki

Bookmark   June 11, 2006 at 8:09PM
jillca(5a/Denver)

Kiki - You posting went to me, not sweatpea. I wouldn't plant lambs ears with roses - one is xeric (lambs ears), the other is NOT (roses). I have my roses underplanted with dianthus, creeping phlox, and lavender.

The nematodes recommended on the web sites are to be used in a environment with a humidity of 50-60% HA HA here in Denver. We have about 14% in the summer. Seems like they are more suited for a greenhouse environment.

Back to the Dr. Bonners. It seems to be helping some, but I have to be careful - with the heat, the soap lets the flower petals burn to a crisp.

jill

Bookmark   June 11, 2006 at 8:42PM
barb422(z6 UT)

Jill,

Could you point me to where you read that the predatory nematodes require high humidity? I was only aware that predator mites required high humidity.

Thanks in advance,
Barb

Bookmark   June 29, 2006 at 10:37AM
ilovemyroses(8 Dallas TX)

i am putting the nematodes out today. gulf coast biotics. i don't know about the lambs ear. they really can harbor pests if not cleaned out of the dead under lying leaves.. i am moving/sping mine. ill let yall know about the 'todes!

Bookmark   April 1, 2012 at 10:13AM
More Discussions
developing soil
We moved to central TX, a beautiful area but soils...
bluegirl_gw
Container Roses grown organically
Hello, let me first say I am in awe of all the beautiful...
krikit
good tasting rose hips
On Antique Rose Forum I asked if anyone had found the...
damask55linen
Roses & stuff (near winter)
Decided to just put Mister Lincolns container into...
jim1961 Zone 6a Central Pa.
Your holiday goals & losing weight & living healthy
Jim and I will be regulars in this forum, since we...
strawchicago 5a IL
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™