biochar, perennial peanut, and roses

mimosamonsterMay 6, 2013

so... has anybody tried a biochar/perennial peanut combination to keep nematodes off the roses?

i've had great results with just biochar, and i've been adding both into the soil around my roses, i was wondering if anybody could tip me off as to what kind of results to expect.

i know both are supposed to tilt the balance away from the plant parasite nematodes, but dont' know how well they combine when doing this together.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dreamywisher99

Area rugs are very important thing for gardening, homes, officers etc. Area rugs are cheapest according to this types and qualities. If you want to check please visit in many sites.

Here is a link that might be useful: Area rugs

Bookmark   May 19, 2013 at 9:23AM
strawchicago 5a IL(zone 5a)

Some one in Florida mentioned she'll try pine fines (pH 4.5, quite acidic) against nematodes. I mix pine fines into my soil to lower its pH ... the worms hate it at first.

Since my soil pH is alkaline at 7.7, I also put sulfur in the planting hole ... that killed all the earthworms! It's good to check your soil pH first, before using pine fines.

See the procedure below to get your soil pH by using $1 of distilled water and 50 cents of red cabbage. I wrote that for the English Roses forum:

Good luck on your experiments with biochar. I'm rooting for your success!

Here is a link that might be useful: Cheapest way to test soil pH using red cabbage

Bookmark   May 27, 2013 at 2:24PM
beshara(7B)

French and African marigolds, in that order of effectiveness, have been shown to kill bad nematodes through their roots. I have them around my rose bushes, with other companion plants like garlic, mints, lemon balm, and bee balm. Wood ash is supposed to work well, and diatomaceous earth..(don't breath it in--as bad as silica and asbestos for lungs, but harmless, otherwise) ..It's my strawberries, even in pots, that snails or nematodes are chowing down on....NOT my roses...

Bookmark   June 21, 2013 at 6:51PM
More Discussions
Bouquets of no-spray roses
Roses can be beautiful with no-spray, less chemicals....
strawchicago 5a IL
Rose pruning help
Hello all, Thanks for the wonderful forum, I really...
adi_az_gw
good tasting rose hips
On Antique Rose Forum I asked if anyone had found the...
damask55linen
Balanced and less fertilizer is best for plants
EarthCo. that tested my soil recommended adding phosphorus....
strawchicago 5a IL
Fragrant, no spray & disease resistant roses
The most addictive scent that I sniffed at the rose...
strawchicago 5a IL
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™