fall swap-where will it be?

chcolatedogMay 26, 2010

I was wondering-where will the fall swap be?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Skybird - z5, Denver, Colorado

Too early for any specific planning at this point, Chcolate! We'll probably start a thread with specifics in late July. But general plans would be to have the second swap of the year on the other end of town from the first, and two people have already expressed interest in possibly hosting it down that way, so plan on a location somewhere on the south side of the Metro area.

And the "when" would normally be late August or early September---just too early!

Skybird

Bookmark   May 26, 2010 at 6:46PM
mstywoods(z5, Westminster, CO)

I was wondering what normally is swapped in the fall. Is it mostly seeds or bulbs? I have never really tried to harvest seeds before, but I'll sure give it a whirl so I can share them with the group. May need some advice though :^)

Bookmark   May 26, 2010 at 8:03PM
jclepine(8b)

Day lilies!! "Catladysgarden" usually brings TONS of day lilies and makes sure we take them home. Even if you think you've taken more than your share, she and her husband offer you more and then more!

And, lots of starts that might have been to tiny to dig up in spring are often nice-sized and established in pots, ready for trading.

Just so you all know, I plan on attending as long as it isn't August 20-30.

Jennifer

Bookmark   May 26, 2010 at 8:23PM
polygonum_tinctorium

Seeds, bulbs, perennials, houseplants, small trees, etc. It's pretty much the same as in the spring but with way fewer vegetable starts.

Seed-saving is really easy for many things, mstywoods. Let us know what you'd like to save and we can walk you through it. Some plants are definitely easier than others.

Bookmark   May 27, 2010 at 12:17PM
mayberrygardener(z5a, Broomfield, CO)

considering ripping out a few rose bushes for the fall swap, if anyone is interested. Otherwise, may just rip & toss them... I know they won't be dormant by Aug-Sept, so there is a risk that they wouldn't make it...

Also, open to ideas for how to get them out if someone wants them? I can't imagine trying to bring a ginormous rootball...

Bookmark   May 27, 2010 at 11:37PM
singcharlene(Zone 5)

I would love to host the fall swap this year if no one else has stepped forward.

If I hosted, my August is swamped so it would have to be in Sept. (the 4th or 11th).

I don't really want to think about September yet though LOL! It's been so cool I still need summer!

Here's to summer,

Charlene

Bookmark   June 14, 2010 at 6:24PM
jclepine(8b)

Yay, then we can see the babies!

I think we've had it in September before...right?

I'm looking forward to it already. I know we aren't really thinking about it yet but, as an FYI, I'd be up for either date but might prefer the 11th.

Yeah, I'm not ready either because it has been very cool up here. Yesterday morning we even had some huge snow flakes come down!! Nothing even came close to sticking but the mountains got some powdery coverage.

I need warmth and sun, then I'll think about the swap.

Thanks, Charlene, for offering!

J.

Bookmark   June 14, 2010 at 9:56PM
serpent_moon(4-5)

i (and Polygonum) might be interested in some of the rose bushes, mayberrygardener

i am also (waiting &) hopeing summer will be SOON! ;^)

Bookmark   June 15, 2010 at 10:43AM
chcolatedog

I'm interested in some rose bushes,so if you could bring some that would be great mayberrygardener.

and Skybird,when you find out when the fallswap is ,tell me.

chcolatedog

Bookmark   June 22, 2010 at 11:58AM
serpent_moon(4-5)

mayberrygardener, chocolatedog is with me and Polygonum, so probably just one or two (smallish) bushes will be fine with us ;^)

Bookmark   June 22, 2010 at 3:38PM
gjmancini

Count me in for the fall swap, so looking forward to it. Will try to bring some lilac starts. I am hoping for some raspberries.

gloria

Bookmark   June 26, 2010 at 10:49AM
col_sprg_maters(Front Range 5)

We would be interested in the fall swap; it would be our first swap.

We have Iris, Day Lillies and tomatoes.

D Colo springs

Bookmark   June 26, 2010 at 10:38PM

I would love day lilies, and some iris (especially dark purple). I can most likely bring some light purple irises to swap, and maybe some others that have not bloomed yet so not sure of the color. If I can find out how to harvest Lilac seeds, or make some cuttings, I can bring some - we have a huge lilac bush in our back yard. I'd like also like to know how to start new Lilac plants for myself, so I can grow it in another portion of the yard.

I'll see what else I can bring as well!!

Bookmark   June 27, 2010 at 9:10AM
serpent_moon(4-5)

i would like some Lilac seeds (if you find out how ;^)

i would also like irises and Day Lilies

(i am with Chocolatedog and Plygonum Tinctorium so any thing that i or they request, it's just going into the 'family plot' sort of thing) ;^D

Bookmark   June 28, 2010 at 11:13AM

I googled how to harvest Lilac seeds, and looks like I missed being able to do that - should have done so before all the flowers dropped. But I did find info on how to make cuttings, and may be able to do that - although it sounds like this isn't always successful as there is only a small window of opportunity to do that (mid-June, apparently, is best). I'll try it though! I'll also see if I can find any suckers with roots that I can dig up and pot.

Bookmark   June 28, 2010 at 8:28PM
More Discussions
Great Backyard Bird Count - 2015
Great Backyard Bird Count - Cornell Hi all, It’s...
Skybird - z5, Denver, Colorado
New perennial bed, need some ideas and help
So, I brought this up to Skybird in another thread...
ZachS. z5 Littleton, CO
Anyone interested in unusual peonies take a look at Adelman's
Just got the catalog for Adelmans Peony Paradise for...
lizbest1
E-mail tree?
So, I was thinking, after the difficulty I had getting...
ZachS. z5 Littleton, CO
Something New in the Tomato Patch
Often, I have allowed a volunteer tomato to grow each...
digit
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™