Burnt looking rose petals

cowgirlcultureMay 2, 2012

I am in hot west Texas in a drought but I water my roses three times a week deeply. I am using all organics of compost, Garrett juice, etc. however many of my roses petals look burnt on edges. Also, some buds look burnt and then won't open. Aphids are not too big of a problem but there are some really fast tiny light yellow bugs crawling on the petals. Is this just hot weather damage or can I do something to help them flourish. The leaves look beautiful and green. Thank you for your time and experience. Kelsey

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
strawchicago 5a IL(zone 5a)

From what I read, brown edges is a sign of potassium deficiency. EarthCo., the soil-testing company that tested my soil to be deficient in potassium, stated that 1/3 of soil are tested deficient in potassium.

Potassium helps plant to retain water. Best bet is to put fresh banana peels around rose bushes - they decay into a nice dark color. Hopefully the yellow bugs will eat the banana peels rather than your rose buds. I'll post some pics. on how to retain more water in a garden in my helpmefind account: Chicago IL 5a. If you search for HMF member with the name "Chicago", you'll see my garden and the pics. I posted.

Bookmark   May 11, 2012 at 7:05PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
roselee z8b S.W. Texas

Cowgirlculture, the fast tiny bugs may be thrips. They are almost microscopic, but can be seen running when you open rose petals. They are very difficult to eradicate even with pesticides which I won't use. Usually the damage is less later in the season when beneficial insects which prey on thrips show up.

You can find more information on the internet.

Here is a link that might be useful: Does the damage look like this?

Bookmark   May 19, 2012 at 2:13PM
More Discussions
Homemade Insecticidal Soap Formula
Today I visited John Starnes' blog: Rosegasms And I...
sandandsun
Liquid Iron
The soil in my garden started out pretty much clay....
nicholas.delo
just checking in
Hi Strawberry and Jim~ Happy New Year! My little jewelry...
enchantedrose
Roses & stuff #5 (Winding down)
Today I noticed almost all the Petunias took a nose-dive...
jim1961 Zone 6a Central Pa.
2015 Seed Selection
Ace Hardware called me when their Botanical Interests...
damask55linen
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™