Is this rust?

JRoss_Tulsa(z6 OK)May 18, 2005

Is this rust on my climber? Regardless, what is the best remedy for this problem? Here in Tulsa, OK, we've had abnormally dry weather. This climber was bought/planted approximately one month ago from a local nursery.

Thanks,

Justin

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
LizzieA(z9 CA Sunset 17)

Doesn't look like rust to me, and believe me, I know what it looks like from bitter experience especially this year with so much rain here.

Rust starts on the underside of the leaves as small orange dots that slowly take over the entire leaf which subsequently falls off. Your damage looks like herbicide -have you sprayed anything lately? and have you been giving it enough water? Newly planted roses need a lot of consistent deep watering.

Bookmark   May 18, 2005 at 11:17PM
JRoss_Tulsa(z6 OK)

Thanks, Lizzie. I now remember reading that rust begins on the underside of the leaves. I've sprayed a garlic/pepper spray and once I started noticing what I thought was some kind of fungus, I sprayed it with a potassium bicarbonate spray. I imagine I have underwatered. However, just this morning as well as last week, it received a nice rain.

Thanks,
Justin.

Bookmark   May 19, 2005 at 10:00AM
PRO
Sophie Wheeler

That's spray burn. You fried your leaves by spraying them with something. Garlic and pepper don't do a darn thing for roses or against bugs, so quit that. Exactly what concentration of potassium bicarbonate did you spray, and what else did you add?

Bookmark   May 19, 2005 at 10:11AM
jillca(5a/Denver)

They can also be burned by a hot sun on roses that have not been watered enough.

It can also happen on new roses that haven't been hardened off from a greenhouse - the sun is just too strong for the tender leaves.

jill

Bookmark   June 10, 2005 at 8:51PM
eviestevie(8a Central TX)

i second the fertilizer burn. it looks like you're spraying too much of something on the leaves

Bookmark   June 25, 2005 at 4:55PM
rjgodbout(z5 NB,Canada)

I have a similar problem with a newly planted rose but just around the edges of the leaves so far. Could a watering with a common water soluble fertlizer on the leaves be the cause?

Bookmark   June 27, 2005 at 10:32AM
LizzieA(z9 CA Sunset 17)

Yes. Newly planted roses should be given time to develop their roots before you start with the salt-based fertilizers. They can burn the baby plant.

Bookmark   June 27, 2005 at 5:19PM
sammy zone 7 Tulsa

A leading rosarian in Tulsa says that we don't get rust here.
Sammy

Bookmark   July 1, 2005 at 9:37PM
More Discussions
good tasting rose hips
On Antique Rose Forum I asked if anyone had found the...
damask55linen
developing soil
We moved to central TX, a beautiful area but soils...
bluegirl_gw
Favorite Companion Plant for roses
hi Friends, I started a few (quite a few) seeds this...
mas_loves_roses1
Your holiday goals & losing weight & living healthy
Jim and I will be regulars in this forum, since we...
strawchicago 5a IL
Fragrant, no spray & disease resistant roses
The most addictive scent that I sniffed at the rose...
strawchicago 5a IL
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™