Good basic book?

brandyray(Coastal NC/8a)May 10, 2012

I have several rose bushes but could use some help on the pruning, bug treatment, etc. I have Westerland, Reve d'Or, Playboy, and several others. (I have a gorgeous red but I need to look through my receipts to figure out what it is- I would like 2 or 3 more of them). Anyway, would appreciate suggestions on a good basic book for rose care. Thanks, Brandy

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
strawchicago 5a IL(zone 5a)

Someone recommended me Field Roebuck, "The Complete Roses ..." It's available at most libraries. I borrowed mine through inter-library loan. You'll enjoy it, lots of good pics, very well-written.

Bookmark   May 11, 2012 at 6:57PM
SpiderLily7(8B)

I highly recommend The Organic Rose Garden by Liz Druitt, Growing Roses Organically by Barbara Wilde, and A Year of Roses by Stephen Scanniello.

Bookmark   May 17, 2012 at 6:57AM
RpR_(3-4)

If you have one within a reasonable distance, to you, find a local used book store and browse through their gardening section.
I say this as I have one here and there are books there that are no longer in print and sometimes those have items that are no longer popular and therefore omitted from many new books.
It sometimes also give you an idea how it was done in the old days (Old now being twenty or fewer years ago:-)

Bookmark   May 17, 2012 at 1:22PM
brandyray(Coastal NC/8a)

I appreciate all the great advice. I ordered the Field Roebuck book, A Year of Roses (for the lyrical writing), and The Organic Rose Garden.
(The used book stores around here only carry paperbacks, and don't carry any gardening books- it was a good idea, though.) I am looking forward to my new goodies arriving (I love gorgeous books!).
Meanwhile, I better pull out my clematis book and read up on pruning my clems, and also my vine book and try to figure out what in the world to do w/ my wildly overrunning honeysuckle hedge. Thanks! Brandy

Bookmark   May 18, 2012 at 9:26PM
More Discussions
good tasting rose hips
On Antique Rose Forum I asked if anyone had found the...
damask55linen
Rose pruning help
Hello all, Thanks for the wonderful forum, I really...
adi_az_gw
Roses & stuff #5 (Winding down)
Today I noticed almost all the Petunias took a nose-dive...
jim1961 Zone 6a Central Pa.
Leaves on bushes
I have been waiting for the leaves on my rose bushes...
smdmt
2015 Seed Selection
Ace Hardware called me when their Botanical Interests...
damask55linen
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™