Altissimo Blackspot/ Really Healthy Red Climbers?

beckbunchJune 17, 2012

I'm disappointed with my Altissimo rose. I quite like the flowers, and I love the red color against our trellis, but I've had a real problem with blackspotted, ugly leaves.

I know it varies greatly from zone to zone and even yard to yard, but has anyone had good luck with a red climber?

I've found that the English roses I've planted have been blackspot free and Cornelia, Autumn Sunset, Ghislaine de Feligonde, and Marie Pavie are clean as a whistle. So that gives me hope that it's not just me, but maybe not the right rose for the spot!

But I'd love to find another red!

Thank you,

Eileen

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
strawchicago 5a IL(zone 5a)

Michaelg in a humid state recommended "Tess of d'ubervilles", an Austin rose, for great RED cut-flower, light scent, but blackspot free. "Tess of.." rose is quite thorny.

I like "Firefighter", red hybid tea, zero diseases here. Smells great all summer, 1 week vase life, almost thornless.

Do Cornelia and Autumn Sunset have good scent, and how's the thorns? Thanks for any info.

Bookmark   June 29, 2012 at 10:17AM
henry_kuska

Illusion, see the link below.

Here is a link that might be useful: my Illusion comments

Bookmark   August 8, 2012 at 11:59PM
diane_nj 6b/7a

In addition to Henry's recommendation, consider John Cabot or Quadra.

Bookmark   August 11, 2012 at 8:40AM
Noni Morrison

I am quite please with Amadeus as a new red climber. I thnk it is a newer Kordes rose and it has had PERFECT foliage this year.I purchased it at Raft Island roses and it preceded to bloom for about 10 weeks or more, a mass of bright red small blooms but when I saw mass , I mean mass! Then it commenced to grow. IT is now about 5' taller then my 7' arbor waving around in the breeze and needing tied into it! It is not frgrant, but it gives that beautiful red show in abundance and I have never seen such leaves anywhere else (Except my South Africa, also a Kordes rose.It is loading up with buds again..can't wait to see those buds blooming higher up the plant this fall.

Bookmark   September 8, 2012 at 4:13PM
brandyray(Coastal NC/8a)

I have Fields of the Wood and Illusion (also Red Cascade- very hardy, but it has miniature blooms). I like both. I think Illusion has more blooms but not much scent. Fields of the Wood has more scent but nothing really striking to me (my favorite is Chrysler Imperial- alas, not a climber). Illusion is planted in a less than optimal spot- too shady, but has done very well.
How about a mixed red? Fourth of July- bright, sparkly blooms of red, white and pink.
The Antique Rose Emporium website might be a good place to look for some more ideas- maybe climbing Cramoisi Superior? Dublin Bay?

Bookmark   May 13, 2013 at 11:12PM
diane_nj 6b/7a

Altissimo is a parent of Fourth of July, and FoJ blackspots just as much as Altissimo here. Beautiful plant though.

Bookmark   May 15, 2013 at 3:40PM
More Discussions
Companion Flying saucers
This is one of the morning glories the hardware store...
damask55linen
Homemade Insecticidal Soap Formula
Today I visited John Starnes' blog: Rosegasms And I...
sandandsun
FRAGRANT Roses! Hoping to find the perfect one for my yard
And I think I've come to the perfect place (I see you...
alioca
developing soil
We moved to central TX, a beautiful area but soils...
bluegirl_gw
Bouquets of no-spray roses
Roses can be beautiful with no-spray, less chemicals....
strawchicago 5a IL
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™