Brown on Rose Buds

mysticangelJune 5, 2006

This is my first attempt at growing roses. I've always heard they are difficult and I have a brown thumb. This year I decided to add 3 new rose plants to my garden and really have no clue as to what I'm doing.

They look healthy, leaves shinny and green but the new buds coming in are brown around the outsides on one of the plants. The plant on the other end does not seem to have this but they are different varieties. We built a bed for the roses and planted clematris behind them on a trellis. The soil is light mixture of Miracle Grow potting soil and purchased top soil. With this "rich" of a soil I am not sure if to add coffee grounds etc this year or to wait for a couple of years to start adding nutrients? I'm so clueless.

Should I spray with something? I've read about vinegar, baking soda, milk and its pretty confusing as to what to do for this. Maybe some rose buds just look brown (rust like) on the outsides before the open up???

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Polly

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
diane_nj 6b/7a

It is either an insect called thrips or a fungal disease called botrytis. I would bet on the thrips. you can search from the main "Organic Rose Growing" page on "Thrips" to see what comes up. I'm not aware of any organic controls, although there is a recent thread on using nematodes for thrip control.

Bookmark   June 5, 2006 at 4:50PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mysticangel

Thank you Diane, I'll go get some spray from one of the local greenhouses. I looked all over the three plants for bugs and didn't see any but it could be that they are so small that I can't see them? I don't know????? what I don't know???? Hope this rose growing thing will get easier. Maybe I'll cut one of the buds off and take it with me to the greenhouse.

Thank you again for your help with this.

Polly

Bookmark   June 6, 2006 at 8:19AM
More Discussions
Leaves on bushes
I have been waiting for the leaves on my rose bushes...
smdmt
good tasting rose hips
On Antique Rose Forum I asked if anyone had found the...
damask55linen
2015 Seed Selection
Ace Hardware called me when their Botanical Interests...
damask55linen
Container Roses grown organically
Hello, let me first say I am in awe of all the beautiful...
krikit
Liquid Iron
The soil in my garden started out pretty much clay....
nicholas.delo
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™