Anyone tried Pam against aphids?

chenchen3529June 26, 2009

My 14 Knock Out roses have rose slugs. I tried garlic water spray that didn't seem to work. I found this message from our forum. Dose anyone tried Pam against aphids?

http://74.125.47.132/search?q=cache:rWgyOflAhecJ:forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/rosesorg/msg0507465724734.html+sprinkling+flour+on+the+rose+bushs&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=ca&client=firefox-a

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sambudnzaksmom

I use a few drops of palmolive dish soap in a water filled spray bottle. Day one spray (kills the live bugs)
Day two spray (kills any newly hatched eggs)
Day three brush off dead bugs with a soft paintbrush and spray (to prevent re-infestation). The pam could possibly work as well, coating the wings and killing the bugs, plus making it difficult for them to adhear to and penetrate the leave & buds. I spray the leaves every other day anyway, so I just added the soap to my bottle.

Bookmark   June 26, 2009 at 12:18PM
Kimmsr(4a/5b-MI)

Since knocking Aphids off a plant with a sharp water spray (a hand held sprayer works very well for this) there is no good reason to use something like a non stick spray. Adding garlic to water and dousing the wee buggers is not going to do much of anything. Adding some soap (1 teaspoon per quart of water) might, but even more effective is just plain old water with the sprayer set for straight stremm and knock the wee buggers off the plant.
Since Aphids are drawn to lush green growth that could be an indication there is an overabundance of N in your soil, ie. a soil with unbalanced nutrients causing your Aphids problem.

Bookmark   June 27, 2009 at 7:17AM
serenasyh(was 5/now Z 8-Kans)

chenchen just wanted to thank you for the link... I found it a great read and have added it to my clippings as well. I loved how Pacmom23 conducted her "experiment". I do something similar whenever I want to test out the effectiveness of a product. She and I would be "best buddies", LOL!

Bookmark   June 30, 2009 at 9:35PM
More Discussions
organic treatment for blackspot
"Black spot disease caused by Diplocarpon rosae...
henry_kuska
Favorite Companion Plant for roses
hi Friends, I started a few (quite a few) seeds this...
mas_loves_roses1
Container Roses grown organically
Hello, let me first say I am in awe of all the beautiful...
krikit
Question about deterring pests
I am growing chives near my roses because they are...
dizzylizzy415
Your holiday goals & losing weight & living healthy
Jim and I will be regulars in this forum, since we...
strawchicago
Sponsored Products
Fancy Italian Tournament Chess Pieces - 916
$408.40 | Hayneedle
United Pet Group Cat FurGoPet Deshedder Tool - 0860-5214
$34.99 | Hayneedle
Portland Wool Blend Area Rug
Home Decorators Collection
Portland Wool Blend Area Rug
Sports Team Vertical Frame
Designers Fountain 84711 Lauderhill Semi-Flush Light in Natural Iron Finish Mult
$145.50 | Hayneedle
Colonial Mills Quilter's Choice Chair Pad - 15 x 15 in. - QC02A015X015
$55.99 | Hayneedle
Sports Team Vertical Frame
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™