Schultz 14-24-24 rose food

jill_wingettJune 10, 2013

Does anyone use this? The directions say 1 tsp per 2 gal water, every time you water. That seems like a lot of fertilizing to me!
I know many of you will say to just improve the soil - I'm doing that already, adding lots of compost, etc.
I found this when cleaning out my folks garage & my dad always had beautiful roses, so I thought I'd try it on mine. I'd ask his advice, but he passed away recently, so that's not an option. Anyone have experience with this product? Thanks in advance!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
strawchicago 5a IL(zone 5a)

Hi Jill: I used MiracleGro 18-24-16 last summer for my pots. It said to use 1 Tablespoon per gallon, which was way-too-much. My roses bloomed VERY WELL with half-the-dose recommended.

I prefer MiracleGro over Schultz because MiracleGro has CHELATED iron, and chelated manganese which are tied-up when my tap water is alkaline. MiracleGro soluble food for roses with chelated trace elements helped to keep the leaves green.

If your roses are in pots, salt build-up can happen if used weekly. And if your roses are in the ground, heavy clay like mine .... it would retain the salt also.

The Chicago Botanical Garden with 5,000 roses recommend using soluble fertilizer 20-20-20 only 3 times per year for cold zone 5 .... for roses in the ground.

Chamblee nursery in Texas recommends soluble fertilizer only once every 2 weeks for gallon-sized roses .. but withhold the fertilizer when the heat is intense.

Bookmark   June 10, 2013 at 1:00PM
More Discussions
Container Roses grown organically
Hello, let me first say I am in awe of all the beautiful...
krikit
Fragrant, no spray & disease resistant roses
The most addictive scent that I sniffed at the rose...
strawchicago 5a IL
Countdown toward Spring... :-)
Well it won't be to long and the tiny leaf buds will...
jim1961 Zone 6a Central Pa.
FRAGRANT Roses! Hoping to find the perfect one for my yard
And I think I've come to the perfect place (I see you...
alioca
Your holiday goals & losing weight & living healthy
Jim and I will be regulars in this forum, since we...
strawchicago 5a IL
Sponsored Products
DENY Designs Stacey Schultz Circle World Blue Outdoor Throw Pillow - 13714-OTHRP
$49.00 | Hayneedle
Rabbit Air | MinusA2 Peanuts Edition Air Purifier
YLiving.com
Richard Schultz | 1966 Collection® Barstool
YLiving.com
Richard Schultz | Cover for 1966 Collection® Bar Chair
YLiving.com
Richard Schultz | Cover for Petal® Collection Coffee Table
YLiving.com
Richard Schultz | 1966 Collection® Counter Stool
YLiving.com
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™