'York and Lancaster' or other Damask?

boisenoise(5/6 West)June 17, 2007

This rose is growing without identification or records at the Idaho Botanical Garden. I am quite sure it is a damask . . . it looks similar to my 'Celsiana' and has a similar growth habit, with canes that arch over under the weight of the bloom. However, the overall shrub is larger than my 'Celsiana.' The flowers aren't quite the same as 'Celsiana,' either . . . I took some down and compared them. Garden records show that 'York and Lancaster' was purchased at one time, and there has been some debate as to whether this is that rose. It has no tendency at all to show two colors on a single flower as described in the references, although in cool weather flower color does range from a deep pink to a very light pink as flowers age. (In hot weather, they all fade to light pink.) Anyone? Help?!

Image link:

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
boisenoise(5/6 West)

I took this photo of the same rose a few years back, on a cool day. It shows the color variation that occurs, but it seems to be mostly caused by fading . . . never color variation within a single flower.

Bookmark   June 17, 2007 at 2:42PM
boisenoise(5/6 West)

Someone suggsted that seeing the overall shrub might be helpful, so I shot some photos of it today. The problem is that, since photos are so 2-D, it's hard to see where this shrub ends and the ones around it begins. But, here it is (it's pretty much stopped blooming by now, so the canes aren't bending down so much anymore):

Bookmark   June 18, 2007 at 2:57PM
boisenoise(5/6 West)

Another possibility I'm considering about is that this could be 'Kazanlik,' or rosa damascena trigintipetala. I pulled a flower apart today and counted the petals . . . 28! They are rather large flowers, too.

Bookmark   June 21, 2007 at 12:50AM
cupshaped_roses(6)

Sorry for not have taken to the time to get back before ... but I agree with you. It is the Damask Rose trigintipetala.

Bookmark   June 28, 2007 at 8:24PM
More Discussions
Please ID this rose
see 4 photos Please let me know if you need more photos...
gcotterl
A single petaled coral colored rose
This bushy rose came with the house. I never paid much...
dan8_gw (Northern California Zone 9A)
IDing some Austins for me
Hi All, I purchased a few of these Austin's from Cool...
SoFL Rose z10
Please help identify this rose
Hello everyone, I saw a video on YouTube about roses...
Jesse Ortiz
Red & white striped rose
I'm trying to identify my neighbor's red & white...
weberriver
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™