help naming an unknown red rose

brenhelmsJune 6, 2005

I bought this rose this weekend at Home Depot because I couldn't resist its beauty-but now I'm stumped as to its true identity. The label read 'Dreamy nights' floribunda-yet the tag underneath the label read 'Red Radiance' hybrid tea. Since there is no rose currently called 'dreamy nights' (none that I can find, anyway), and it definitely isn't a 'Red Radiance', I would sure appreciate a name for this lovely rose. As you can see, the blooms are cupped and very full-also appears to be quartered to me. Almost reminds me a "Tradescant". Any opinions?

Image link:

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
brenhelms

Sorry-picture didn't come through-this should be it-if not, the url is correct.

[IMG]http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y249/brenhelms/5b210ca4.jpg[/IMG]

Here is a link that might be useful:

Bookmark   June 6, 2005 at 8:24AM
brenhelms

Another picture of the unknown rose:

Bookmark   June 6, 2005 at 3:16PM
alicia7b(z7b/8aNC)

Is it too red to be Rose de Rescht?

Bookmark   June 6, 2005 at 6:59PM
petaloid(SoCal 10a/24)

It reminds me of Rouge Royale. Is it fragrant?

Here is a link that might be useful: Rouge Royale photos - click on Main for more info

Bookmark   June 6, 2005 at 7:24PM
brenhelms

To me the color appears to be a deep red-and there is a slight fragrance-my husband describes it as a 'faint citrusy smell'. I couldn't pick it up due to my allergies-so the fragrance must be light, as I was able to discern the fragrance from some of my other roses.

Bookmark   June 6, 2005 at 9:32PM
brenhelms

Think I've discovered my red rose's true identity-Francois Rabelais-very much like Rouge Royale, but with no real smell. Here is a picture:

Any other opinions? I'm hoping to accurately id this rose soon, as I love its look and am planning on buying 2 more bushes so I can plant them in front of some taller shrubs.

Bookmark   June 7, 2005 at 11:15PM
ginni77(z 5)

I have Tradescant:

Rouge Royale:

And Francois Rabelais:

And I thought yours looked more like RR than the others, at first. But RR has a very strong fragrance and so does Tradescant. They are both also more a pink-toned red, where FR is definitely a red-red, leaning more toward the orange side of the spectrum. It's not orange, but I hope you get what I mean. The fragrance would really give it away tho...FR has NO fragrance in my garden. He also blooms in big trusses of roses too.

Whatever you decide, yours is lovely!!
Ginni

Bookmark   June 8, 2005 at 12:34PM
brenhelms

Ginni-Thanks for the info and pictures of your Rouge Royale-my rose is definitely red-red--no pinkish tones whatsoever. And the lack of fragrance was the clincher for me-this is definitely a Francois Rabelais. Thanks to all who helped in this id. I feel really lucky to have come across this rose by happy "accident". Sometimes rose mislabelings are a good thing-I got a great rose for a great price-thanks to Home Depot!

Bookmark   June 8, 2005 at 3:54PM
More Discussions
Please help identify this rose
Hello everyone, I saw a video on YouTube about roses...
jesusortiz2691
Please help to ID this rose
I found these rose plants near my hometown and all...
neddy_nam
Pink/Yellow Blend?
This was a rescue plant, so don't know what the name...
msdorkgirl
Need to Identify This Rose!
Last summer I decided to go ahead and test this rose...
weberriver
Large fragrant apricot rose ID.
I'm trying to ID this apricot rose that came with my...
fireballsocal
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™