Plant potatoes between squash?

bob_in_coloradoMay 18, 2013

Garden space is at a premium. I'm sure everyone knows this. I only have about 800 sq/ft.

I have a good sized square devoted to squash plants. I'm thinking about planting my potatoes in between the rows of 3x3 grid squash. The squash plants get big, the potatoes get really tall. I doubt one will shade out the other.

What do you guys and guyettes think?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
david52_gw

What kind of squash?

Bookmark   May 18, 2013 at 10:32PM
bob_in_colorado

Butternut, 8-ball, spaghetti, zucchini, Italian zucchini, yellow crookneck, pumpkins and baby pumpkins

Bookmark   May 19, 2013 at 12:21AM
david52_gw

I think you'd be ok with the zucchini and crookneck, they're usually bushy vs vining, and don't get too monstrous. Butternut, it would depend on the variety - the small-fruited ones are relatively tame plants.

But pumpkins, or any of the big, vining winter squash, no. They take over everything, and their leaves will grow taller and taller to take out the competition.

I haven't grown 8-ball.

Bookmark   May 19, 2013 at 11:15AM
bob_in_colorado

Thanks David

Bookmark   May 19, 2013 at 12:52PM
digit(ID/WA)

I plant squash between the cabbage, Bob.

That is, I make a 2nd planting of summer squash between early cabbage plants. The cabbage can be taken out in mid-July and the squash will grow and produce about the 1st of September.

You have given me some ideas! My potatoes always seem to be early varieties. I like 'em! So, I begin harvesting about the 1st of August. Could I . . . might I . . . would I be crazy to . . ? What if the early cabbage was harvested and quick-maturing potatoes went in? Would they be good neighbors to the summer squash and make a crop by September?

The squash would have a week or so lead on the potatoes but the cabbage kind of "suppress" the squash until they are out of the way. I'd have to do some shopping for sprouting spuds in early July. Hmmm. . . .

Steve

Bookmark   May 19, 2013 at 5:11PM
bob_in_colorado

I think I'm going to try planting one row between my squashes. They are in a 12'x12' area, each in about a 3'x3' area. My potatoes grew very tall last year and the squashi are growing from seed.

The potatoes are German Butterball, so they're smaller anyways.

Bookmark   May 19, 2013 at 9:39PM
More Discussions
Spring Swap official site
Good Day all, Just wanted to start an official site...
gjmancini
Something New in the Tomato Patch
Often, I have allowed a volunteer tomato to grow each...
digit
Thornless blackberries in CO?
I've got a front yard veggie/fruit/perennial garden...
packardce
Great Backyard Bird Count - 2015
Great Backyard Bird Count - Cornell Hi all, It’s...
Skybird - z5, Denver, Colorado
New perennial bed, need some ideas and help
So, I brought this up to Skybird in another thread...
ZachS. z5 Littleton, CO
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™