Help identifying type of rose

firstyearJune 11, 2009

My wife and I moved into a new house last fall that the previous owner had moved into a nursing home and let the yard maintenance "slip" a bit. About two months ago, I cut down an extremely large and invasive barberry that had killed off an Azalea and was in the process of choking off a second one. Afer the dust settled, I discovered I also had chopped down a rose bush, leaving just two inch stubs.

Here's what I know:

1) There were about 10 main shoots at the base that I had chopped off.

2) In the past 2 months, the rose bush has put out many (> 10) new shoots that have regrown to 2-3 feet.

3) The growth is spreading outward rather than upright. Only a couple shoots are growing upwards and they tend to be shorter, the rest are all tending to grow outwards 6-12 inches off the ground

4) There are no sideshoots. Not a single one.

5) The shoots have 7 or 9 leaves.

6) No blooms or starts (yet).

7) I found a tag on the ground in some leaves for a David Austin Golden Celebration. Could this be it? All the other roses around the yard are hybrid teas.

I really have no idea of the type of rose or what I should do with it. Do I just let it grow on its own, do I trellis it, is it junk that should be removed? Do I prune or not? Any thoughts from anyone?

Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
diane_nj 6b/7a

You'll have to wait until it blooms so that we can provide more help. It is possible that what you have left is rootstock (the usual one is a red climber named Dr. Huey), but again, you won't know until it blooms. Try not to cut it back again until it blooms. If it is Dr. Huey, or another once bloomer, it may not bloom until next year.

Bookmark   June 11, 2009 at 11:23AM
trospero(8)

You are describing 'Dr. Huey', the understock your 'Golden Celebration' was grafted to. When this happens, its usually too late to save the plant and it should be dug up and replaced. 'Dr. Huey' is useless as a garden shrub, IMO.

Bookmark   June 14, 2009 at 1:25PM
firstyear

Thank you both. Saves me a lot of trouble and effort. What is it that makes 'Dr. Huey' so useless? The single blooming?

Bookmark   June 15, 2009 at 5:31PM
petaloid(SoCal 10a/24)

It's an older climbing variety. I find the informal clusters of deep red blooms pretty.

The once-blooming part is not a problem for me, but in my garden it tends to get some powdery mildew in the summer.

Also, Dr. Huey usually gets too big for the spot where it was planted, originally intended for the smaller, top-grafted variety.

Bookmark   June 15, 2009 at 9:54PM
More Discussions
Pink fortuniana? White carnea? Or...?
When I was a kid in North Carolina (during the Reagan...
tdfromnc
Is this Maggie (1900) or Magenta Kordes (1954)
I lost the tag to this rose but I remember it either...
caflowerluver
identify this amazing rose for me please!!!
Hello I woiuld greatly appreciate if any of you could...
lcadem
Please ID this rose
see 4 photos Please let me know if you need more photos...
gcotterl
What rose is this on the cover of "In search of lost roses"?
I am sorry I know it is probably like looking for a...
kingcobbtx9b
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™