need ID please 'PIC'

millieon(zone 6a)June 11, 2005

Last year I bought Heritage, Abraham Darby and Othello. Well this is the first bloom and it sure does not look like Othello. As we are planning to move I dug them up and put them in pots this spring but now am not sure if I want this one.

Is it a rose a does anyone know the name of it.

Thank you.

Millie

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sueto(z6a TO)

LOL Millie! Imagine running in to you here. Posted an answer to you on Canadian Gardening... re rootstock. Hopefully somebody here can tell you specifically what it is.

SueF (Sue-chef)

Bookmark   June 11, 2005 at 2:22PM
ramblinrosez7b(JerseyShore)

Hi Millie, we have these growing all around our home, some kind of wild rose. It has a wonderful scent. I will try and get a photo tomorrow.

Bookmark   June 11, 2005 at 9:27PM
rosyone(z8 north Louisiana)

Looks like Rosa multiflora.

Bookmark   June 11, 2005 at 10:10PM
northspruce(z3a MB CDA)

I think that is multiflora. The rootstock of choice for Canadian rose growing. Sure doesn't look like the pic on the tags does it? Haha sorry I shouldnt laugh but it is as opposite as a rose can be...

Bookmark   June 11, 2005 at 10:20PM
millieon(zone 6a)

LOL Sue. Thanks for responding and you are correct it is Multiflora and this is what I found out about her.

It blooms only in spring and is used as a rootstock for grafting roses.

Common names: Multiflora rose, baby rose, Japanese rose, seven-sisters rose, rambler rose, multiflowered rose

http://www.issg.org/database/species/ecology.asp?si=215&fr=1&sts=
R. multiflora is a perennial shrub that forms dense, impenetrable thickets of vegetation . It colonizes roadsides, old fields, pastures, prairies, savannas, open woodlands, and forest edges, and may also invade dense forests where disturbance provides canopy gaps. It reproduces by seed and by forming new plants that root from the tips of arching canes that contact the ground. R. multiflora is tolerant of a wide range of soil and environmental conditions and is thought to be limited by intolerance to extreme cold temperatures. Many species of birds and mammals feed on the hips of R. multiflora, dispersing the seeds widely. R. multiflora can colonize gaps in late-successional forests, even though these forests are thought to be relatively resistant to invasion by nonnative species. It invades pasture areas, degrades forage quality, reduces grazing area and agricultural productivity and can cause severe eye and skin irritation in cattle. There are many strategies available to manage and control R. multiflora involving physical, chemical, and biological means.

Negative Impacts
Once planted for erosion control, multiflora rose is now a widespread weed that is extremely difficult to control and eradicate because of the large number of seeds produced per individual. Various species of mammal and bird facilitate dispersion. Thickets are often formed that shade out native species.

OTHER STATUS:
Multiflora rose is designated as a "noxious weed" in Wisconsin, Missouri, Pennsylvania, Virginia, and West Virginia, a "secondary noxious weed" in Iowa, and as a "county-level noxious weed" in Kansas. It is a "regulated plant" in Ohio, a "regulated non-native plant species" in South Dakota. Maryland and Wisconsin list it as a "nuisance weed" [80,84]. Multiflora rose is listed by the state of Vermont as a Category II plant: "exotic plant species considered to have the potential to displace native plants either on a localized or widespread scale" [85]. For more information see Invaders Database or Plants Database.

Thank you to all for responding so quickly.
Millie

Bookmark   June 11, 2005 at 10:42PM

Hi Millie, well I was able to get some photos of this wonderful "weed" which we have growing so abundantly in our yard and all around the neighborhood. Thanks for all the info you posted about it. I am going to keep it for the future in case someone asks about this rose.

The Branches (are they the same as yours?)

Bookmark   June 12, 2005 at 3:51PM
barbie(5/6 StL)

multiflora

Bookmark   June 12, 2005 at 7:16PM
millieon(zone 6a)

WOW Rambling Rose! She sure is huge. Thanks for the photos.

Yes the branches are same.

She looks beautiful in your surroundings.

Bookmark   June 13, 2005 at 11:01AM

Yea she is a big one. But that in the photo is just a small section of it. We have acres and acres of woods throughout the neighborhood filled with it.
This is a different view of it on some of our property.

Bookmark   June 13, 2005 at 9:01PM
millieon(zone 6a)

No wonder she looks happy, she has plenty of room.

Nice property!

Bookmark   June 14, 2005 at 10:04PM
More Discussions
Three many petalled roses: yellow and pink/apricot - lots of pics
Hello! First let me tell you that I am not at all aware...
karatepop
The name of the rose
While searching for yellow roses on Google a couple...
johnb45
More nd more...hope sm1 names them
It's SN21 ...newbie ....please name these flower ...thanks...
sn21
Large fragrant apricot rose ID.
I'm trying to ID this apricot rose that came with my...
fireballsocal
IDing some Austins for me
Hi All, I purchased a few of these Austin's from Cool...
SoFL Rose z10
Sponsored Products
Fingertip Magazine File
$15.99 | Dot & Bo
Encore 78" Double Bathroom Vanity Set - Espresso with Ivory Marble Counter and V
Modern Bathroom
Sterling Estate Bronze 4-Light Multi Light Pendant
Lamps Plus
Jamestown Satin Pewter Eighteen-Light Chandelier
Bellacor
Sendo Table Lamp by Eglo
$50.00 | Lumens
Utopia 4-ft AWW Wide Wrap, 4 x 54W T5HO, Single Ballast, 120/277V
LBC Lighting
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™