Is it too late to plant vegetables? Or herbs?

walterbyrdMay 25, 2013

If not, which would be best to plant?

I'm in Denver.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gjcore

Plenty of time for direct sown stuff such as parsley, cilantro, thyme, corn, okra, cucumbers, beets, carrots, winter and summer squash. Too late for peppers and tomatoes unless purchasing plants to transplant. Also probably to late for peas, lettuce, spinach or other cool weather plants though they can be sown late July to mid August.

Bookmark   May 25, 2013 at 9:32PM
milehighgirl(CO USDA 5B/Sunset 2B)

This a great little site to determine what to plant and when. To find your first and last frost dates you can go here:

http://www.climate-charts.com/States/Colorado.html

Here is a link that might be useful: GrowGuide Seed Starting Planner

Bookmark   May 26, 2013 at 2:32PM
balloonflower(5b Denver CO, HZ 5-6, Sunset 2b)

For herbs, you're fine on nearly all of them. Just know there's the fast growing annuals that are good to direct sow (basil, parsley, cilantro, etc). Plenty of time for those, in fact it's just now getting warm enough for the basils. Cilantro is a semi cool season plant--you'll get lots of leaves to start with, but it will bolt to seed pretty quickly here too as soon as it really heats up. Then, just collect the coriander seeds!

Then there's your perennials: rosemary, thyme, oregano, sage, lavender, etc. You can seed these in, but you won't get much of a harvest this first year on the slow growing perennials. Better off to buy transplants of them if you're not planning long-term. Most of the other herbs you're good on too, especially if you start with transplants: savory, sorrel, burnet, chives, etc.

Another note: if seeding, some herbs can have a long germination period (30+ days) for things like parsley, oregano, lavender. Rosemary, marjoram, lemon verbena and other tender perennials will not survive winter here in most cases.

Bookmark   May 30, 2013 at 10:41PM
More Discussions
Anybody bored...wanna play a guessing game?!
Trying to figure out what this bush is. This photo...
lkcrawford
When should I begin pruning last year's perennials?
Hello, all. I'm wondering when is the best time to...
robin44444
E-mail tree?
So, I was thinking, after the difficulty I had getting...
ZachS. z5 Littleton, CO
Lettuce without direct sun?
Hi, everyone! I'm thinking of putting a raised Bed...
flowerridge
I could build that!
Well, why not ? No, that floor isn't sloping. There's...
digit
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™