weak canes

centifolia(z8 OR)June 17, 2012

Could alkaline soil make rose canes weak? I didn't have this problem when I had acid soil. Or is there some other reason for weak canes? A missing nutrient perhaps?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Krista_5NY

Some roses have naturally floppy canes.

Immature roses might have weak canes, as the rose matures it builds up a structure and the canes can strengthen.

What type of rose is it, and how old is it?

If you have pics of it, that could help to diagnose what might be happening with it...

Bookmark   June 19, 2012 at 2:42PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
strawchicago 5a IL(zone 5a)

Hi Centifolia: you are correct that alkaline soil make rose canes weak. I have alkaline soil high in limestone (calcium). If you google, "Recognizing Nutrient Deficiency Symptoms", it will pop up a site by James W. Boodley, Professor at Cornell, New York. It says, "high calcium levels induce potassium deficiency."

Potassium is needed for strong stems. I also hard water high in calcium. My roses give weak stem, smaller flowers when I water them with my alkaline water, pH of 8.

In the spring I don't water my roses with the rain here. Rain water is acidic, pH of 5.7 - the roses have big stems, bigger blooms and dark green leaves in the spring.

Sulphate of potash is recommended to solve potassium deficiency. Symptoms are: weak stems, marginal scorch on the lower leaves, azaleas turn red ... I see blueberry plants at Walmart turn bronzy red when watered with alkaline water.

Bookmark   June 29, 2012 at 10:32AM
More Discussions
Which Rose Do You Love/Hate?
I would love to hear about roses that drive you crazy...
treehugger101
2015 Seed Selection
Ace Hardware called me when their Botanical Interests...
damask55linen
Homemade Insecticidal Soap Formula
Today I visited John Starnes' blog: Rosegasms And I...
sandandsun
Bouquets of no-spray roses
Roses can be beautiful with no-spray, less chemicals....
strawchicago 5a IL
Favorite Companion Plant for roses
hi Friends, I started a few (quite a few) seeds this...
mas_loves_roses1
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™