Marigold Questions

garnergardenMay 30, 2014

Hey guys! I picked up some pretty orange Marigolds the other day. I forgot to water them and they dried out before I could get them in the ground. I went ahead and planted them after a drink, bu will they recover alright?

And are they okay to plant with all veggies and herbs? Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
CFields59(7)

Not sure if they will recover for sure; however, they are safe to plant with veggies and herbs. They also deter mosquitoes.

Bookmark   May 30, 2014 at 10:06PM
david52_gw

The old-timers around here plant marigolds all around their veggie gardens as some sort of bug deterrent.

Bookmark   May 31, 2014 at 10:57AM
garnergarden

Good to know about the mosquitoes! No body want's those buzzing too near... I did plant a few in with a couple chinese cabbage, onions, as well as with an eggplant and with peppers. They certainly add a nice accent of color to what would otherwise be a sea of green lol.

I think I answered my own question about them recovering... They already seem to be perking up, even though they have just been transplanted. I think the current flowers I'll just deadhead, but the greenery looks supple and happy again.

I also read the petals are edible?! How neat! Considering our current growing space restrictions to the balcony, we try to have dual use plants if possible. It's nice to have such beauty have culinary as well as potentially medicinal properties. :)

Bookmark   May 31, 2014 at 9:36PM
CFields59(7)

david52, they do that where I live, also. Another good thing about marigolds is that when they stop blooming and go into seeds, they are easily collected and you can store them until the next year and then open the pods and re-seed for more marigolds. This eliminates having to buy new seeds or plants each year and is great for your plant budget. :)

Bookmark   May 31, 2014 at 10:08PM
More Discussions
Anyone interested in unusual peonies take a look at Adelman's
Just got the catalog for Adelmans Peony Paradise for...
lizbest1
New perennial bed, need some ideas and help
So, I brought this up to Skybird in another thread...
ZachS. z5 Littleton, CO
Spring Swap official site
Good Day all, Just wanted to start an official site...
gjmancini
Thornless blackberries in CO?
I've got a front yard veggie/fruit/perennial garden...
packardce
I Think I'd Have Trouble in Denver
... or most anywhere in Colorado! Such high elevations....
digit
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™