Are these Alfalfa Pellets any good to use?

countryrosegirlJune 16, 2010

I have some Alfalfa Pellets that I have had for two years. The mice have been in them and I wondered if it would be safe to use or should I get a new bag? Next time I will store them in a plastic container.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
countryrosegirl

I have some Alfalfa Pellets that I have had for two years. The mice have been in them and I wondered if it would be safe to use or should I get a new bag? Next time I will store them in a plastic container.

Bookmark   June 17, 2010 at 9:32AM
taoseeker

I doubt the roses would know the difference. Alfalfa pellets/meal/hay are put in a bucket or larger container, filled with water and let brew for about 10 days. Then it's watered into the soil around the roses. Alfalf is only good for the roses when it's decomposed. So if it's only for the roses and the soil, your old alfalfa is perfect.

Bookmark   June 30, 2010 at 1:10PM
diane_nj 6b/7a

You don't have to "brew" it, you can use it straight on the ground around the roses. It will be OK to use or to compost, if you make your own compost.

Bookmark   July 3, 2010 at 7:36PM
Kimmsr(4a/5b-MI)

Some people make a tea with Alfalfa and pour the tea on the plants and soil and throw the material used to make the tea away when that too could be put on the soil. Almost any kind of organic matter is always good to add to soil, and those you have would be better added to soil then the alternative, tossing them into the trash.

Bookmark   July 16, 2010 at 7:01AM
More Discussions
Products & recipes that you love & roses that gave joy
Lately I have been shopping on Amazon instead, after...
strawchicago 5a IL
Which Rose Do You Love/Hate?
I would love to hear about roses that drive you crazy...
treehugger101
Roses & stuff #5 (Winding down)
Today I noticed almost all the Petunias took a nose-dive...
jim1961 Zone 6a Central Pa.
Roses & stuff (near winter)
Decided to just put Mister Lincolns container into...
jim1961 Zone 6a Central Pa.
Reviving an old Mary Rose
There's an old Mary Rose in front of our house. It...
misslisamham
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™