Is this a Rose and how do I save it?

manillesolJune 6, 2013

Hi! Just moved here from Zone 6 and it's quite a difference! DH and I just bought a home and it came with a lovely garden. However, between them moving out and us moving in, this poor plant suffered a great deal. It doesn't seem to have new growth, but some of the stems with dried out brown leaves on them are green, and there are about three leaves that are green but starting to brown on the edges. How do I save this? Can I cut it down all the way to the ground or should I just give up and dig it out? Thanks for your help!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lola-lemon(5b East WA)

It doesn't have thorns does it? I don't think it's a rose, mostly because the way it is putting out such skinny little cross branches.
I think the first thing to do would be to just remove the dead stuff. Cut it down to living cane/stems. (green in the middle) and then water it properly. Most plants like the top inch of soil to be dry before rewatering.

I recommend reposting this on the Name Taht Plant Forum and add a picture of a green leaf.

This post was edited by lola-lemon on Thu, Jun 6, 13 at 22:50

Bookmark   June 6, 2013 at 10:49PM
manillesol

Thanks, lola-lemon! When you say cut it down, do you mean remove all the foliage entirely? The remaining three green leaves are at the tip of an entirely brown branch covered in dead leaves.
I'll definitely post a pic on NTP when the sun comes up tomorrow!

Bookmark   June 7, 2013 at 2:01AM
lola-lemon(5b East WA)

Oh! I didn't realize the 3 green leaves were on the top. Just strip the brown leaves and keep it watered and see what it is --- then decide how to manage it. Some bushes allow renovating, some don't.
It might be a gardenia and they can be hard to keep alive in certain climates. That's just a guess made looking at dead leaves tho... so go ahead and post the green leaves pictures over on the name that plant forum.
Good luck!

Bookmark   June 7, 2013 at 12:12PM
seil zone 6b MI

It's not a rose. Looks like some kind of shrub. There's one called Coppertina that has leaves that color. Or maybe some type of viburnum.

Bookmark   June 8, 2013 at 11:31AM
More Discussions
Unknown Week's rose
Just bought this from a nursery that sells no tag roses....
kublakan
Three many petalled roses: yellow and pink/apricot - lots of pics
Hello! First let me tell you that I am not at all aware...
karatepop
Old rose ID 2
This is a climbing rose that clambers to 15 feet over...
dkelch
identify this amazing rose for me please!!!
Hello I woiuld greatly appreciate if any of you could...
lcadem
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™