Alfalfa tea - how often?

foxglovema(z5-6/ma)July 1, 2004

How often should one feed the roses alfalfa tea? I fed them last friday (before going away for the weekend so I wouldn't have to smell the stench) and was wondering if I could do it again this friday before i go away again?

Also, how often should you fertilize with Neptune's Harvest?

Many thanks

Deb

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Field

Just scratch the pellets or alfalfa meal in around your roses and water them well. Then the question won't come up again, and it will be more effective than the tea. You can add more meal around the roses every 2 or 3 months, and they'll get all they need.

Bookmark   July 1, 2004 at 5:20PM
foxglovema(z5-6/ma)

Hello,
I've put the mashed alfalfa cubes around the dripline of the roses, but wanted to use the tea as well. I attribute the use of Alfalfa to the survival of most of my roses after the terrible winter we had.
I found a marked increase in blackspot problems after putting the alfalfa around the plants though. Have you experienced this?
Deb

Bookmark   July 2, 2004 at 9:08AM
baccus(z5aNY)

I use the tea because the alphala pellets atract rodents who like to chew on my bushes despite the fact I have a cat and dog. I brew 120 gal Alfalfa tea for 100+ roses and feed them every 2 weeks during the growing season.The tea is brewed in 60 gal covered plastic barrels and I add 2 cups of epsom salts to each barrel.

Bookmark   November 8, 2004 at 6:11PM
alameda/zone 8

I live in east Texas. Would I be helping my roses to put out the alfalfa now or wait? Is the tea better or the pellets?

Bookmark   December 13, 2004 at 5:32PM
socks

The pellets are much easier than the tea. Don't know about timing. Here in So. CA the pellets would just float away at this time!

Bookmark   January 10, 2005 at 11:47PM
jillca(5a/Denver)

The advantage of the tea, is that the alcohol produced by the fermentation (I forget the name of it) promotes basal breaks on roses.

jill

Bookmark   June 10, 2005 at 8:59PM
nursey123(z6PA)

I have heard about using alfalfa tea to promote basal breaks. I have one established ( about 50+ years, came with the house) and five new ( just planted bare root this season)Will this work on all and where do I get it? Thanks

Bookmark   June 12, 2005 at 10:27AM
threeducks(z5-MI)

That alcohol (triacontanol) is produced in the decomposition anyway, so if you just throw the stuff in your garden it works and you don't have to deal with the horrible smell of "tea". You can get alfalfa at any decent feed store in a 50 lbs bag.

Bookmark   June 13, 2005 at 9:42AM
More Discussions
Homemade Insecticidal Soap Formula
Today I visited John Starnes' blog: Rosegasms And I...
sandandsun
Favorite Companion Plant for roses
hi Friends, I started a few (quite a few) seeds this...
mas_loves_roses1
Bouquets of no-spray roses
Roses can be beautiful with no-spray, less chemicals....
strawchicago 5a IL
Your holiday goals & losing weight & living healthy
Jim and I will be regulars in this forum, since we...
strawchicago 5a IL
Rose pruning help
Hello all, Thanks for the wonderful forum, I really...
adi_az_gw
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™