harvest - browns reds and ID

stefpix(6b NY [Brooklyn NY])October 6, 2012

I am getting a really good harvest of C. chineses

hete are some photos

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10151424660768066.581748.631078065&type=1&l=56f5dc5588

I wanted to ID this one

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10151424661558066&set=a.10151424660768066.581748.631078065&type=1&theater

it is a dark brown that is very wrinkly. Is it Jamaican Chocolate Brown? What does it look like?

Seeds were from peppers bought from ethic markets.

I have 2 Manzano (C. pubescens) that are starting to produce peppers. Do they take a long time to ripen?

Also I started some Fatalii and Wiri Wiri that I will start indoors.

I have about 50 peppers from 2 Chinense plants.

I have one plant that I bought as a Jalapeno plug, but the peppers are a lot smaller than reg jalapenos

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ottawapepper

Regarding your ID question, it could be a Jamaican Chocolate Brown. It could also be Chocolate Habanero, Chocolate Scotch Bonnet or a 7 Pot Douglah. Hard to say from the picture.

If you don't die or really really really want to die after tasting it, it's not a Douglah ;-)

For reference, here's a shot of a Chocolate Scotch Bonnet I grew this year.

Bookmark   October 6, 2012 at 5:12PM
ottawapepper

Oh, a nice harvest BTW. You have a nice mix.

Bill

Bookmark   October 6, 2012 at 5:13PM
stefpix(6b NY [Brooklyn NY])

Thanks Ottawapepper!

I do not think it is a scotch bonnet as it does not have that mushroom / bonnet shape. It is similar to mine, so I guess it is a Jamaican Chocolate brown. Also has thick walls and I have seen SB that have thinner walls.

Jamaican guy at Chile FIesta at Brooklyn Botanic Garden gave me a yellow Jamaican Scotch bonnet. It had the real squat shape. I used it for seeds. He said Scotch Bonnets are less hot than Caribbean Reds and have more flavor. He said Caribbean Reds are just HOT! I also got some Fatalii for seeds. They feel less hot than my reds and browns.

Bookmark   October 6, 2012 at 11:41PM
esox07

Hey Ottawa, what do you do, do you armor all those peppers before you photo them?
Bruce

Bookmark   October 7, 2012 at 10:34AM
stefpix(6b NY [Brooklyn NY])

Thanks Ottawapepper!

I do not think it is a scotch bonnet as it does not have that mushroom / bonnet shape. It is similar to mine, so I guess it is a Jamaican Chocolate brown. Also has thick walls and I have seen SB that have thinner walls.

Jamaican guy at Chile FIesta at Brooklyn Botanic Garden gave me a yellow Jamaican Scotch bonnet. It had the real squat shape. I used it for seeds. He said Scotch Bonnets are less hot than Caribbean Reds and have more flavor. He said Caribbean Reds are just HOT! I also got some Fatalii for seeds. They feel less hot than my reds and browns.

Bookmark   October 7, 2012 at 11:42AM
ottawapepper

stefpix, I have had pods that were squat in shape, just not the one ripe enough when I too the photo.

Bruce, yes, the pods do look a bit shiny and plastic ;-) I use a light box/tent to shoot pod photos. It has to do with the diffused light and the color balance my camera defaults to (I'm a lazy shooter most of the time so I don't adjust it).

Bookmark   October 7, 2012 at 3:21PM
More Discussions
I had it bookmarked
It looks like it is the whole enchilada, not that cut...
ronnyb123
Cooking With Fresh Peppers
When we talk about chili/ hot peppers, hot red peppers...
Seysonn_ 7b-WA/HZ1
Wow! Sure seems slow!
In the midst of seedling season, I would expect the...
woohooman
bad batch of corn … oh
OTOH nothing happened after 26 days with my first batch...
bragu_DSM 5
Seed soak
IIs 24 hours too long? I won't be home until then....
peps_22
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™