Organizing SASE Seed Swap Questions

HillSeeker(3B)October 25, 2013

Hi,

Can anyone point me in a general direction for information on the best way to organize a group sase seed swap? I really want to organize a swap for Canadians to share the hot pepper seeds, however I am running really behind and don't have much time to think up or write the rules/instructions. I am concerned about what happens if everyone doesn't get exactly what they wanted.

I had found a group swap post and instructions prior but can't find it now.

Also if you are Canadian, and want to join let me know. I am really hoping to get the info out early next week so the seeds arrive by Christmas!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
northerner_on(Z5A ONCanada)

Hi, There is someone who posts an annual swap for Tomatoes & Peppers on this forum. Her handle is hmacdona, and if you search here on this forum, you should be able to contact her and get information on setting these swaps up. Failing that, there is a young man origami_master, on the Canadian Garden Exchange Forum who used to run one...maybe he still has instructions around. Search that forum for exchanges or swaps...there are quite a few.

Bookmark   October 25, 2013 at 3:04AM
sandysgardens

There are two individuals that have been hosting pepper seed exchanges here on the pepper forum for several years.

Heather who is in Calgary Canada hosts a GREAT swap (pepper and tomato) each year and as mentioned above goes by hmacdona. She has many participants from GW forums as well as several other forums/groups she belongs too.

Bonnie from Colorado also has been hosting a GREAT annual pepper swap for a number of years that many here partake in.

Lots of info too can be found on the 'Round Robin' forum, which many group swaps take place.

Bookmark   October 25, 2013 at 7:37AM
DMForcier(8 DFW)

Heather (aka The Seed Fairy) handles (IIRC) the larger swap with around 120 participants. I've often wondered just how she manages to pull it off. And of course she'd know all about the ex-Royal Mail.

Bookmark   October 27, 2013 at 4:33PM
John11840(z6/CT)

I haven't seen anything from Heather yet. Is she doing her trade again this year?
John A

Bookmark   October 29, 2013 at 10:45AM
DMForcier(8 DFW)

I sure hope so. I'm already preparing. Many little plastic packets!

Bookmark   October 29, 2013 at 6:16PM
sandysgardens

I sent Heather an email this morning and asked if she was hosting a swap this fall. I'll let everyone know when I hear from her....

Sandy

Bookmark   October 30, 2013 at 7:00AM
maple_grove_gw

I was wondering the same thing. If I remember correctly, Heather's swap was wrapping up around this time last year. I'm looking forward to hearing what you find out Sandy.

Alex

Bookmark   October 30, 2013 at 8:55AM
DMForcier(8 DFW)

No, I'm pretty sure that it went until Thanksgiving. But it did at least start in October so we're running late.

Bookmark   October 30, 2013 at 7:08PM
seysonn(8a WA/HZ 1)

As far as my 2014 pepper seeds goes, I am all set. Thanks to Tim that completed my list by his most generous offer. As a result , I have more than needed seeds of MANZANO. If anybody wants some I can spare. I also have some extra SHISHITO , that I have collected from store bought peppers. So there is no guarantee about the purity. I did not grow any peppers worth saving seeds from past season.

As Tim has mentioned, we should try to pay it forward.

Bookmark   October 31, 2013 at 1:57AM
maple_grove_gw

LOL, it sure feels like it is Thanksgiving-time what with the early frosts we've been having.

Actually, last year the swap in question began in September, and seeds had to be mailed in by the third week in October.

Here is a link that might be useful: Thread from last year's fantastic swap.

Bookmark   October 31, 2013 at 8:37AM
northern_hab

I to have been keeping an eye out for Heathers seed swap. It worked out very well last year.

Bookmark   November 4, 2013 at 3:09PM
MsPeppaJo(7a)

I am still trying to find the ones on my list !!!! Let me know what is going on with the swap/ trade!!! I can use all the help I can get !!! LOL !!!
Thanks y'all !!

Jo

Bookmark   November 7, 2013 at 1:59AM
jtight

In the advent that the "normal" resources who facilitate this are unavail to do so, how do we want to go about it? My assumptuon is someone takes on the roll of "seed master" a/ collects from everyone then distributes accordingly.

Bookmark   November 7, 2013 at 5:14PM
DMForcier(8 DFW)

Has anyone participated in the seed exchange on the thechileman.org site?

Bookmark   November 8, 2013 at 5:37PM
jtight

See following thread: FirstHarvest Seed Swap

Thismembername set this up; however, not sure it is has concluded or not.

Bookmark   November 8, 2013 at 7:59PM
More Discussions
Your Grow List --- 2015
It is getting closer to start the season especially...
Seysonn_ 7b-WA/HZ1
Cotton bugs (?) with pictures.
I planted a jolokia back in October from a seed. It...
Anthony Pomerinke
Where do you find seeds for different hot peppers?
Is there a special place to order seeds for some of...
goldilocs
Problems Germinating Seeds
Hi Everyone, I used to be able to germinate seeds....
newmexmike
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™