What plants to you mulch?

blueiris24June 6, 2011

What plants do you regularly keep mulch on and how much mulch? Any favorite type of mulch?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Skybird - z5, Denver, Colorado

Are you wondering about any particular type of plants? I use small bark mulch around all my perennials, and grass clippings around all my veggies. Everything I have is mulched with something--to conserve moisture and to keep the surface of the soil soft enough that the water will soak in more than run off.

Skybird

Bookmark   June 6, 2011 at 1:24AM
dan_staley(5b/SS 2b AHS 6-7)

The entire yard save for hardscape and turf is mulched. I use the free wood chips from the city. The veggies have a straw mat mulch.

Dan

Bookmark   June 6, 2011 at 7:34AM
gjcore

So far this year I've been mulching with tree leaves and cuttings from the clover. I'm also experimenting with using clovers as a living mulch around the melons, winter squash and in the new bed which has a variety of vegetables.

Bookmark   June 6, 2011 at 9:16AM
digit(ID/WA)

I have mulched my paths in the perennials but bad experiences with mulch in the veggies have kept me from using it there - with one exception. Besides, I would need an 18-wheeler load to mulch all the veggie ground.

The exception in the veggies is the potato patch. But, I want to tell you, my worse experience with mulch was trying to grow potatoes under hay -- the voles got under that hay and absolutely destroyed my potato crop!

So, why do I mulch potatoes these days?? Well, I don't put it on too early, don't put it on too deep, and I need to put something on - I figure.

Potatoes really should be hilled and semi-decomposed compost is a good choice to move onto them. I will be doing that this week! First a little organic fertilizer, then as much compost as I think will do the job of keeping the tubers from sun damage.

. . . just what I do.

Steve

Bookmark   June 7, 2011 at 9:51AM
More Discussions
Holly, potatoes!
I tried to send you an email but apparently the mobile...
ZachS. z5 Littleton, CO
Anyone interested in unusual peonies take a look at Adelman's
Just got the catalog for Adelmans Peony Paradise for...
lizbest1
Crops That Can Thrive At Lower Temps
Hey gardening geniuses.... glad to see most of us made...
garnergarden
What did You Prepare and Eat from the Garden, Today?
A mix of Soldier and Jacob's Cattle beans with onions,...
digit
Spring Swap official site
Good Day all, Just wanted to start an official site...
gjmancini
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™