pictures and a question

nancybeetoo(wOR USDAz8)October 31, 2010

Thanks to this forum and Peppermania.com for seeds and encouragement last winter. My pepper crop was wonderful. You see a picture of the habaneros at http://www.flickr.com/photos/nancybeetoo/tags/habanero/

I am now making hot sauce and have a canning question that I haven't found an answer for.

I made a sauce that I like by reading the ingredients on the bottles. Its roughly equal parts habaneros, jalapenos, carrot and onion with enough vinegar to make a slurry.

The thing is, I would like to can it rather than freeze it, but I don't know if there is enough vinegar in it to be safe. I have a canning book from the UGA http://www.uga.edu/setp/book.html which is the latest information from scientists on safe canning. In there the proportion of vinegar in the pickling recipes ranges from about a third cup per pint of finished product and up to a cup per pint. Right now my sauce is at the low end of the that range. So, I could bump up the vinegar, or pressure can, or freeze.

Freezing makes them harder to give away as gifts.

Pressure canning may affect flavor??? Does it?

More vinegar would probably be acceptable but it is already a very tart sauce.

Any advice? Favorite recipes?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
oregonwoodsmoke(5 OR Sunset 1A)

Your best bet to get an answer on the safety of home canning is at the "harvest" forum here on Garden Web.

Bookmark   October 31, 2010 at 10:35PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
northerner_on(Z5A ONCanada)

Both my husband and I come from countries where hot pepper sauces are staples and we never refrigerate or freeze them. Yesterday I made two small bottles of pepper sauce: one with red cayenne peppers to which I added tumeric and mustard powder, horse radish, salt, and vinegar, the other simply blended Tobago Seasoning peppers with salt and vinegar. Last week I sliced cayenne peppers and added enough vinegar to cover them. I also pack small peppers in jars and cover with vinegar. I have done this and used them as gifts for several years with no ill-effects. I believe once you have added enough vinegar to make a slurry, and/or cover the fruit, you should be O.K. I sterilize my bottles in a hot water bath before filling as a precaution.

Bookmark   November 1, 2010 at 4:57AM
More Discussions
I had it bookmarked
It looks like it is the whole enchilada, not that cut...
ronnyb123
Your Grow List --- 2015
It is getting closer to start the season especially...
Seysonn_ 7b-WA/HZ1
Are you a patron of Padron peppers for tapas?
Or would that be 'tapas (appetizer) de padron a patronis'...
bragu_DSM 5
Effect of Temperatures, Day Length, Rain/Moist'r on . Peppers.
Title speaks for itself, to some extent. But let's...
Seysonn_ 7b-WA/HZ1
Help for GardenWeb Users
https://support.houzz.com/hc/en-us/sections/200556848-Help-for-GardenWeb-Users...
ronnyb123
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™