Roseraie de l'Hay or Hansa?

shmooey(7B Seattle)June 3, 2011

This rugosa was smelling up the whole corner- and i wanted to know if anyone could ID which type it was. The color was extremely hard to photograph correctly- It is a super saturated, and a rich, dark, cool magenta. Definitely has a purple cast to it.

It obviously set hips last year, because the old shrivled ones are still hanging on the bush!

If anyone thinks they know if this is potentially a Hansa or a RdlH, thanks in advance!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Embothrium(USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA)

Don't remember how to tell those two apart, or if those are the only possibilities. I do know 'Hansa' has been much more prevalent on the market here.

And that Seattle is USDA 8.

Bookmark   June 4, 2011 at 12:47AM
shmooey(7B Seattle)

Actually my zip code is a zone 7b. I feel like there is a color distinction between the two, but having never seen them side by side, and not being able to capture the color well- seems to make this a challenge. I have also heard that RdlH is not nearly as common in the states though, so i am leaning in the favor of hansa.

Bookmark   June 4, 2011 at 11:56AM
seil zone 6b MI

It so lovely and HUGE!

Bookmark   June 4, 2011 at 9:20PM
Embothrium(USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA)

Zip code zone finder(s) I have used put me wrongly in USDA 7 also. USDA 7 is average lows between 0 and 10F. The all-time record low for the Montlake weather station is 10F, for the Sea-Tac airport 0F. This past winter there was a bunch of browning of long-established specimens belonging to certain alliances at the Rhododendron Species Botanical Garden - because it got down to 10F there, and it rarely does that.

Failing access to correctly identified live material to compare the shrub in question with you'll just have to look at rose books and rose web sites to see if you can find clear markers for one variety or the other indicated.

Bookmark   June 5, 2011 at 12:03PM
diggerb2(z5oh)

looks like de l'hay. what size/shape are the hips?
mine are elongated ovals under 1/2 inch. i always thought hansa's looked like cherry tomatoes. also what about the scent?
my money is on de l'hay
diggerb

Bookmark   June 24, 2011 at 4:58PM
overdrive

Hi, this is an obvious Hansa!
Roseraie has an open centre with yellow stigma/style/anther complex etc,
where the Hansa has petals all intertwined with the central
stigma/anther complex. Also, the Hansa has the droopy habit, with the flowers being too heavy for the stems, whereas Roseraie has stiffer stems that do not bend over, like in your picture.

Bookmark   June 12, 2012 at 10:09AM
shmooey(7B Seattle)

Thank you overdrive! Excellent description and observation. I really appreciate it!

Bookmark   June 12, 2012 at 11:54PM
More Discussions
old rose ID1
This rose is a low bush (to 80 cm) growing under a...
dkelch
Identify Dark Red/Purple Rose
We just repotted this rose that was producing only...
msdorkgirl
Rose Identification
Please help me id this rose. Thanks.
Bubbi01
Red & white striped rose
I'm trying to identify my neighbor's red & white...
weberriver
Help me ID this rose, please!
Can anyone help me find out the name of this rose?...
Anh3012
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™