Iris after blooming

DebiTinCO(5 CO)June 7, 2006

The blooms on the iris plants are dead, stalks still standing, as is the foliage. [I don't think they bloom more than once in spring.]

Do I have to wait for the stalk to die to cut back? And can I cut back the foliage too? And do I have to wait for that to die as well? It is taking up a lot of room in garden...I would like to slip a few annuals in for color during the summer.

Any insights much appreciated...

Deb

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
windwhipped(Z4 WY)

Deb,

Some people do wait til the stalks have died to cut them, but I have always cut them after the bloom has faded with no problems.

Unlike bulbs (tulips, daffs, etc), iris foliage does not die back after bloom. It won't actually die down now until it gets cold. Until then it should be kept standing to help feed the rhizome and keep it healthy and growing.

If you have a lot of foliage in proportion to the amount of blooms, it may be time to dig up and divide your rhizomes. Check out the iris forum FAQ for some good advice on how/when to do this and for general tips on iris care.

Hope your irises put on a good show for you this year, they are among my favorites.

Bookmark   June 7, 2006 at 2:32PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
DebiTinCO(5 CO)

Thanks WindWhipped! And there is way more foliage than blooms, so I guess a bit of dividing is needed.

This is my first spring/summer in the house, so everyday I have new surprises...seeing what was planted by previous owner.

Bookmark   June 7, 2006 at 7:11PM
More Discussions
Great Backyard Bird Count - 2015
Great Backyard Bird Count - Cornell Hi all, It’s...
Skybird - z5, Denver, Colorado
Like to See What is Happening
... in Rocky Mountain weather compared to "normals." Choose...
digit
Hope you all found it alright!!
I think we need to do a roll call. Is anyone else reeling...
ZachS. z5 Littleton, CO
roof ice damming in Denver area?
I know this isn't garden related, but was wondering...
mstywoods
Anybody bored...wanna play a guessing game?!
Trying to figure out what this bush is. This photo...
lkcrawford
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™