Dark pink mystery rose

busyasabee(7MD)June 26, 2005

Anyone have any ideas what kind of rose this is? I would love to know the name of this rose. I have attached a photo so you can see.

This rose flowers from Spring to Fall. There's a large flush of blooms in mid-May to June, I then trim, and new flowers emerge throughout the season until Fall. If I don't trim the blooms, they eventually develop into rose hips.

Color - Dark Pink and fades to light pink

Care -- Very little care required. I trim (cut off about 1/3 from the top) in early spring before new leaves come out. I do this so it won't flop during heavy rains and winds. When the flowers emerge, rose bush tends to be top heavy. As for nutrients, in the Fall I sprinkle bone meal around the soil, and throughout the year I will drop my dried banana peels around the base of the plant.

Scent - very faint scent

Here is a link that might be useful: Dark pink mystery rose

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
busyasabee(7MD)

I don't think the link I originally posted is working. Here it is again:

Bookmark   June 27, 2005 at 12:06AM
anntn6b(z6b TN)

The link isn't working.

Bookmark   June 27, 2005 at 10:20AM
cecilia_md7a(7a/Baltimore,MD)

Busyasabee gave me a rooted cutting of this rose at the last Mid-Atlantic plant swap. It's got a couple of buds, so I'll try to take a close-up photo of the flowers when they bloom.

Meanwhile, I've posted a photo that B. sent me of the bush on the Rose Gallery - it's probably the same one that she tried to link to. As you can see, it's a really pretty shrub!

Here is a link that might be useful: Mystery rose on the Rose Gallery

Bookmark   June 27, 2005 at 11:29AM
PRO
Sophie Wheeler

Carefree Beauty.

Bookmark   June 27, 2005 at 9:30PM
cecilia_md7a(7a/Baltimore,MD)

HollySprings, it really does look like some of the photos of Carefree Beauty on Helpmefind.com. Trouble is, busyasabee says it's only lightly scented, and CB is supposed to be strongly fragrant. Of course, our senses of small are all different, so perhaps it is CB.

Here is a link that might be useful: Carefree Beauty on helpmefind.com

Bookmark   June 28, 2005 at 1:38PM
patrickd_nc(z6b NC)

I haven't sniffed it for a while, or at all stages of bloom form at all seasons at all times of the day, but I don't remember Carefree Beauty having hardly any fragrance at all. I'll go sniff it again this evening if I get a chance.

Patrick

Bookmark   June 28, 2005 at 2:17PM
busyasabee(7MD)

Hollysprings & Cecilia - It does look like CB, I did a little research and from the info that I have gathered, it is exact fit with CB from bloom times, appearance, care, and rosehip colors. The only difference is the fragrance or lack of fragrance, it has a very faint scent.

http://w3.goodnews.net/~kkrugh/rose/carefree_beauty.htm

Bookmark   June 28, 2005 at 6:49PM
PRO
Sophie Wheeler

CB barely has any scent at all. I don't know of anyone who would ever describe it as strongly scented.

Bookmark   June 29, 2005 at 11:29AM
twohuskies(z4A Mpls, MN)

my CB is not fragrant either..

Bookmark   June 29, 2005 at 11:35AM
busyasabee(7MD)

Thank you all for your input. I will refer to my mystery rose as Carefree Beauty. I inherited this rose from the previous homeowner, and have enjoyed many years of its beautiful blooms. I was always curious as to the name of the rose, but never pursued it until I brought up the subject matter with Cecilia at one of the MAG events. I am very glad that I have a name to go along with this lovely flower!

Bookmark   June 29, 2005 at 9:30PM
More Discussions
Please ID this rose
see 4 photos Please let me know if you need more photos...
gcotterl
Large fragrant apricot rose ID.
I'm trying to ID this apricot rose that came with my...
fireballsocal
Please help to ID this rose
I found these rose plants near my hometown and all...
neddy_nam
A single petaled coral colored rose
This bushy rose came with the house. I never paid much...
dan8_gw (Northern California Zone 9A)
Pink/Yellow Blend?
This was a rescue plant, so don't know what the name...
msdorkgirl
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™