Pink THORNY rose

harris_growing(5)June 27, 2009

Here is a picture of the flower on a rose that is growing in my back yard. It is densely thorny - to the point that there is nowhere to touch it. I was referred here from the UBC botanical site, and there is another picture (with foliage and the thorny stem) there, as well as pics of another rose I'd love help with. As far as I can tell, I can only post a single picture here, so I'll include the URL for any who think the additional pictures would help. Thanks!

Mike

Image link:

Here is a link that might be useful: Two roses with foliage

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
petaloid(SoCal 10a/24)

It reminds me of Marchesa Boccella (aka Marquise Boccella and Jacques Cartier), which I used to grow. I'll put a photo link below:

Here is a link that might be useful: Marchesa Boccella photos

Bookmark   June 29, 2009 at 9:12PM
harris_growing(5)

The flowers do look right. I couldn't find a good picture online of the stems for marchesa Boccella - are they as densely thorny as mine?

Bookmark   June 30, 2009 at 8:56PM
petaloid(SoCal 10a/24)

I grew one at our former home, so can't check, but if I remember correctly the stems were prickly all the way up to the bloom.

Since we haven't found stem photos to compare, maybe it would be productive to focus on the foliage. How do the leaves in the HelpMeFind photos compare to your rose?

Bookmark   June 30, 2009 at 11:40PM
harris_growing(5)

Thanks for the suggestion. The stems are so prickly I forgot I could use other avenues.

In looking for terminology, I ran across a website that I'll link. Using it, I'd call my rose "doubly serrate" whereas the Marchesa Boccella pictures I've seen would be just serrate. The main difference is actually the size - my serrations are tiny - they don't even look like serrations in the pictures. The ones on Helpmefind are far more orderly.

I also discovered today that the prickles on the new foliage are flexible enough that as long as I'm moving my fingers up the stem instead of down they bend and I can grasp the stem. (One year old or older growth is an entirely different story!"

Happy 4th,

Mike

Here is a link that might be useful: leaf margins 1/4 way down

Bookmark   July 4, 2009 at 1:34AM
olga_6b

No, not Marchessa Bocella. On the picture from other UBS site it looks like it can be Common Moss or some other Moss rose. If you rub your fingers on the stem or bud and smell them, will you get piny smell?
Olga

Bookmark   July 5, 2009 at 9:43PM
petaloid(SoCal 10a/24)

I'll put a link below to the HelpMeFind listing for the Common Moss rose that Olga suggested (super-prickly!):

Here is a link that might be useful: Common Moss photos

Bookmark   July 6, 2009 at 12:04PM
More Discussions
Please ID this rose
see 4 photos Please let me know if you need more photos...
gcotterl
Red & white striped rose
I'm trying to identify my neighbor's red & white...
weberriver
Please help identify this rose
Hello everyone, I saw a video on YouTube about roses...
Jesse Ortiz
The name of the rose
While searching for yellow roses on Google a couple...
johnb45
Pink fortuniana? White carnea? Or...?
When I was a kid in North Carolina (during the Reagan...
tdfromnc
Sponsored Products
Traditional Triple Thermostatic Shower Valve, Riser Kit, Head & Spout
Hudson Reed
Forestier | Bodyless Table Lamp
$737.60 | YLighting
Bedroom Lamp: 15 in. Pink and Leopard Fun Prints Table Lamp LT3000-LPD
$28.29 | Home Depot
Sklo | Circle Hold Vessel
YLiving.com
Painted Rose Melon Designer Outdoor Pillow
$99.00 | FRONTGATE