Cottage? Rugosa?

eclecticcottage(6b wny)June 11, 2012

This lovely rose is growing "wild" along the property line at the Cottage. It is VERY thorny, and has a lovely "old fashioned" scent. If I recall correctly from when we looked at the Cottage last year, this is NOT a rebloomer.

Image link:

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
eclecticcottage(6b wny)

Forgot to mention we're zone 5, but right on Lake Ontario, so our seasons run a little later. It grows about 3-4' in height and has been growing and blooming on it's own for several years as the Cottage was vacant when we bought it (no pruning, feeding, watering, etc-just what nature provided). It was covered in hips last fall.

Bookmark   June 11, 2012 at 10:52PM
donaldvancouver(cool wet z8)

Hi- it's definitely a rugosa. Others more knowledgeable than I might have an idea of what variety it is, but maybe look up Hansa. It's an old variety, tough as nails, and commonly grown on older rural properties across Canada.

Bookmark   June 12, 2012 at 8:07PM
eclecticcottage(6b wny)

Thanks! I figured it was thorny enough to be a Rugosa. I imagine it's an older cultivar since most (remaining) landscaping here is at least 30 or more years old.

I looked at Hansa, but my rose is a lighter pink, I think Hansa is usually a darker pink. I swear it's not a rebloomer, but I'm going to have to double check some photos from last year now. I didn't think it bloomed all summer, but I can't be certain...

Bookmark   June 13, 2012 at 1:03PM
Krista_5NY

IMHO, it's not a Rugosa, looks like a Damask or perhaps Gallica. Centifolias are once-blooming as well.

Bookmark   June 14, 2012 at 4:29PM
eclecticcottage(6b wny)

After reading descriptions of the Damasks, it could easily be one, in poking around on several sites, I'm thinking Ispahan fits best. It has taken over an area below some Rose Of Sharon and turned into a thicket-I have no idea how many individual bushes there are (and with those thorns, I'll likely NEVER know, lol) but the tallest canes are only about 4' high. I looked at photos we took last July and it is definately a once bloomer, as it was pretty much done by mid-July last year. The individual blooms last about a day it seems. I was watering some Elderberry down a little ways last night, and even with only a very slight breeze I could easily smell the roses from about 50' or so away. They are certainly fragrent.

Bookmark   June 15, 2012 at 8:58AM
Krista_5NY

Damasks are really fragrant, wonderful fragrance.

The local botanic garden grows Ispahan, your rose has the pink shade like Ispahan, (however I don't know if your rose is Ispahan...)

Bookmark   June 19, 2012 at 2:47PM
eclecticcottage(6b wny)

After reading up more on the Ispahan Rose, I am about 95% sure that is what I have. One characteristic I've noticed that is mentioned several times about the Ispahan is that it will fade to a lighter pink color as the bloom ages-my roses do this as well. It is getting to the end of the flush now, although there are still blooms, it's not completely covered in them. I am going to attempt to brave the thorns and see if I can pot a few suckers and keep them happy for plant trades later (and to move some closer to the house to enjoy that lovely fragrence). I'll try 2 and see if it works.

Bookmark   June 26, 2012 at 10:48AM
More Discussions
Please help identify this rose
Hello everyone, I saw a video on YouTube about roses...
Jesse Ortiz
Unknown Week's rose
Just bought this from a nursery that sells no tag roses....
kublakan
Please help identify my roses :)
Hi, I have just started gardening. I live in Bangladesh...
sn21
Rose Identification
Please help me id this rose. Thanks.
Bubbi01
Amazing Rose...name?
Hey Y'all! I found this amazing rose I don't know the...
thelarkascending
Sponsored Products
Vintage Jade 5-piece Quilt Bonus Set
Overstock.com
Lenox Outdoor Lighting Flush Mount
$209.00 | FRONTGATE
Shuffle Wood Grey Wallpaper R1363, double roll
Walls Republic
Cottage rattan powder room basket
Origin Crafts
Sanctuary Pendant
Lightology