Pink and Yellow Rose - Charlotte Brownell??

northspruce(z3a MB CDA)June 23, 2005

This rose came with the house and I would dearly love to know what it is. It is definitely older than 1990, and is probably older than 1980.

- It is a pink/yellow blend. These pics are at the pinkest end of the scale, some years the later flush is almost all yellow. Typically it is yellow at the base of the petals.

- It is my hardiest HT with protection in Zone 2b. This makes me think it might be a Sub-Zero rose.

- It is NOT Peace but has similar coloring. Has much smaller leaves and blooms. The later blooms are bigger than these though.

- I thought it could be Tiffany but it has no smell.

- The shrub is tall and straight. These pics are half-grown back from winter dieback. It gets about 2.5 to 3 feet by fall. It blooms mid-June with a few summer repeats and a second strong flush in late August.

- Medium thorniness. Thorns are distinctly pinkish/peach colored.

- The foliage starts very red and retains dark red veins and edges into maturity.

Very grateful for any comments, especially if anyone has a Charlotte Brownell to compare it to. Or if anyone thinks it's something else. If we can't figure it out I might wait for some more typical yellower blooms. Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
altoraMA(5/6 MA)

It looks more like it could be 'curly pink',
another Brownell Rose. Have you seen that one?
Alida

Bookmark   June 24, 2005 at 1:54PM
northspruce(z3a MB CDA)

Well, these pics do look like the shell pink colour of Curly Pink, but I don't think it could be Curly Pink. Given that it has no smell, flowers are single not clustered, and it usually has a lot more yellow. I would say the average bloom is the exact colour as the average Peace but a little more intense colour. Thanks for the input tho.

Bookmark   June 24, 2005 at 3:58PM
altoraMA(5/6 MA)

did you get a good look at the foliage of
charlotte brownell on hmf?
alida

Bookmark   June 24, 2005 at 5:56PM
northspruce(z3a MB CDA)

HMF is kind of a kicker, since the four roses on HMF don't even look all that much like each other. The first three really do look typical of my rose when it gets the yellow going. The first pic especially looks exactly like it.

As far as the foliage goes, the redness does eventually disappear in the veins of my leaves. I guess I wasn't that clear about that. The foliage on HMF looks like my rose later on. One thing I notice on HMF, on pic#2, is that the bud looks exactly like mine too...

At this point, unless someone can tell me what it IS instead, I assume it is C.B. I wonder if anyone else grows it and finds that it sometimes blooms all pink?

Bookmark   June 24, 2005 at 7:49PM
Maddiegirl(4 SD)

I grow CB...and this isn't it. Mine are generally a yellow/white with pink edges and looks like http://www.helpmefind.com/rose/pl.php?n=1099. Yours is definitely something else...though it absolutely beautiful!

Bookmark   June 28, 2005 at 5:08PM
northspruce(z3a MB CDA)

Thank you for your help Maddie, I was coming to that conclusion myself... I started a new thread with some later, more typical pics. FWIW, I'm glad to hear someone on the prairies is growing CB, I would like to get one anyway because I like the older HTs.

Bookmark   June 28, 2005 at 11:11PM
More Discussions
Red & white striped rose
I'm trying to identify my neighbor's red & white...
weberriver
IDing some Austins for me
Hi All, I purchased a few of these Austin's from Cool...
SoFL Rose z10
Pink fortuniana? White carnea? Or...?
When I was a kid in North Carolina (during the Reagan...
tdfromnc
Rose Identification
Please help me id this rose. Thanks.
Bubbi01
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™