Identification & care of old rose bush

pchi2(7)June 26, 2012

My mother has a flowerbed that has had no care for years. It has an old rose bush that needs to be pruned and taken care of. I took a picture of it and another close up to show how thick it is. Can anyone help identify it. Is it a rose bush or a climbing rose? Any ideas on improving its condition would really be appreciated.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
pchi2(7)

My mother has a flowerbed that has had no care for years. It has an old rose bush that needs to be pruned and taken care of. Can anyone help identify it. Is it a rose bush or a climbing rose? Any ideas on improving its condition would really be appreciated. The first picture was to show how thick the branches are.

Bookmark   June 26, 2012 at 11:59PM
petaloid(SoCal 10a/24)

It reminds me of Bloomfield Abundance.

I will put a link below to the first of several pages of photos on HelpMeFind. See what you think:

Here is a link that might be useful: Bloomfield Abundance photos

Bookmark   June 27, 2012 at 5:26PM
hartwood

Your rose looks like 'Cecile Brunner' to me. If it is, CB is a lovely Polyantha that grows well with minimal pruning and without lots of maintenance.

As far as caring for the rose now, remove anything that's dead. You can also remove an old cane or two, if they are not healthy or blooming well. From what I see, this rose is very healthy and happy overall.

Here is a link that might be useful: Description and photos of Cecile Brunner on Help Me Find.

Bookmark   July 10, 2012 at 11:23AM
More Discussions
Pink/Yellow Blend?
This was a rescue plant, so don't know what the name...
msdorkgirl
Pink fortuniana? White carnea? Or...?
When I was a kid in North Carolina (during the Reagan...
tdfromnc
Is this Maggie (1900) or Magenta Kordes (1954)
I lost the tag to this rose but I remember it either...
caflowerluver
help, is this twilight zone?
It doesn't look like the twilight zone on the website...
msdorkgirl
Large fragrant apricot rose ID.
I'm trying to ID this apricot rose that came with my...
fireballsocal
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™