Poss Dr. W. Van Fleet

chele_s(z7 noVa)June 16, 2005

Hi,

This rose is about 12-15 feet high and blooms late May/Early June. We have no idea how old it is, although the house was built in 1936 and occupied by the previous gardener from then until the mid-90's. It is very disease resistant. Buds are almost a deep pink before they start to open and then fade. The flowers end up a pale pinkish white. It starts blooming in late May and is fading now (June 16). We have our suspicions, but we don't want to taint the jury.

Thanks,

MS

Image link:

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
cecilia_md7a(7a/Baltimore,MD)

It definitely looks like the good Doctor to me! Hard to tell its habit from the tiny insert photo, but is it trained on a fence, or is it freestanding? My SIL has a freestanding Dr. Van Fleet in her yard that I didn't recognize initially because I'd never seen one that wasn't trained as a climber. It makes a lovely weeping fountain of blooms every spring when left on its own.

Bookmark   June 17, 2005 at 9:01AM
chele_s(z7 noVa)

Hi,
Thanks for the info. It's actually two plants on either side of an arbor. The link below has a full size image of them blooming on June 6th. We built the arbor about six years ago and they met at the top and have been creeping skyward ever since.
Regards,
MS.

Here is a link that might be useful:

Bookmark   June 18, 2005 at 8:29PM
alicia7b(z7b/8aNC)

Definitely looks like Dr. W. Van Fleet from the picture. Yours looks very happy!

Bookmark   June 24, 2005 at 2:51PM
Brian_Symes(NWOregon)

Yes I have a New Dawn that puts out a second bloom.IF you Ded Head the first bloom, I have also put a ot of pollen on New Dawn becauce of Its vigor and lovely foliage. The last success was a cross of Wenlock x New Dawn . The Flowers are slightly Larger and have a good twenty petails on them.

Bookmark   July 3, 2005 at 4:04AM
More Discussions
Identify Dark Red/Purple Rose
We just repotted this rose that was producing only...
msdorkgirl
The name of the rose
While searching for yellow roses on Google a couple...
johnb45
What rose is this on the cover of "In search of lost roses"?
I am sorry I know it is probably like looking for a...
kingcobbtx9b
Amazing Rose...name?
Hey Y'all! I found this amazing rose I don't know the...
thelarkascending
identify this amazing rose for me please!!!
Hello I woiuld greatly appreciate if any of you could...
lcadem
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™