Yellow to orange to salmon to dark red

bebble(z8 E.TX)July 29, 2005

Ok, I put all the info on the following page; however, it is a rose my sister liked while we were in Tyler (it was in front of Sexton Roses when we drove by)...and yes, I had forgotten all I had heard about them temporarily.

I put four different pictures of it on the page going from bud to spent bloom. I can't say enough that while the colors are a little different - it isn't by much - just make all the colors a little more intense (it really will hurt your eyes if the sun hits the orange yellows - and the salmon are soft and suede looking - the red looks just like velvet.

My appologies in advance for lacking pictures of thorns, knowing the exact scent (not good at those yet), new growth (should be a form of red - all of mine are except for Nac. Noisette, so I would have noticed).

I think that's about it - I check my mail daily (and often more than that) so if I can add ANYTHING - including additional pics ... just let me know as I'll be glad to run out and check.

:)

Here is a link that might be useful: bloom stages

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
roseluvr

Reminds me of Charisma, which is a floribunda, or Pinata, which is a climber. I have Pinata myself, and those pictures of your rose seem look more like the photos of Charisma on HMF. Check out this link.

Hope this helps-just a guess off the top of my head.

bren

Here is a link that might be useful: Charisma

Bookmark   July 29, 2005 at 10:21AM
johnreb_va7(z7 VA)

Bebble, I'll "second" Roseluvr's guess that it is Charisma. I'm quite familiar with that rose, because I have a Charisma bush in my yard. I bought it 6 years ago.

Here are some things you might want to know:
Charisma rosebushes "mature" quite slowly - for several years you will think you've got a Miniature bush.
Charisma's small flower-size (2 to 2&1/2" at maximum) will add to that impression.
Charisma is a "sunblusher" (Phototropic) rose - which is why the HMF photos vary so much, colorwise. The more solar-ultraviolet its blooms receive, the redder they get. A period of several *consecutive* heavy-cloudy days will cause Charisma to be mostly orange-&-yellow.

If you followed Roseluvr's link to the HMF photos of Charisma, be sure to click on "Main" at the top of the Photos page, for HMF's description-info on Charisma. See especially the note/comment at the bottom of the Description-info page.
Regards,
JohnReb

Bookmark   July 29, 2005 at 4:02PM
davila42(z6 MO)

JohnReb, I'll third the id as Charisma, and second your 'slow grower' comment. Mine is four years old. I moved it two years ago into an optimal location (full sun, no competition, great soil) and it's still only two feet tall. Lovely, consistent bloom. Good disease resistance.

Bookmark   July 29, 2005 at 7:02PM
bebble(z8 E.TX)

Thanks for trying to ID it but Charisma was one of the first ones I bought and that is NOT Charisma, lol.

Here ya go...
Charisma is the short one (naturally)-just took about 2 doz spent blooms off of it.

Charisma is the darker smaller one - they last a looonngg time and the other will be gone in about three days tops

The big leaves are lighter and "bluer" and not shiney - Charisma is the small, dark, shiny ones.

Also my Charisma has no scent - the other does - and blooms in sets of three - the other in fours. (although it might change when it gets older I guess)

Bookmark   July 29, 2005 at 9:15PM
bebble(z8 E.TX)

Ok, Pinata - THAT looks like the one I was looking for all right!!!

Any info on that one from anyone would be great!

Thanks.
Bebble

Bookmark   July 29, 2005 at 9:26PM
roseluvr

Here are some pictures to help with your id-these are photos of my Pinata, from bud to mature bloom:

Pinata is a climber, but a smaller one-to 6' or so from what I've read. My Pinata was very small when purchased but has grown about 1 foot in a month and a half-pretty good since it is reportedly a slow grower. Hope these pictures help.

By the way-Pinata blooms do turn fast-you have to really be on top of it to take pictures of all the different faces, as I like to call them. The blooms themselves are pretty longlasting once they've turned red. I let the last bloom stay on the bush for several days until I decided it wasn't going anywhere, so I yanked it off. It was still pretty even then-a nice red with interesting tan lines. Personally, I enjoy Pinata-but I like 'chameleon' roses.

Bookmark   July 29, 2005 at 11:17PM
bebble(z8 E.TX)

Yes, I do agree about roses that change constantly...

I think the only reason mine has such a red tendance is the heat and sun here right now - 1/2 of all my rose petals actually look like someone burned them w/ a lighter - turns black and ashen grey...uhg.

It's in the shade right now though.

Thanks for the help there - this has to be it...will make sure tomorrow...I got to get to bed.

Brandy

Bookmark   July 30, 2005 at 1:53AM
bebble(z8 E.TX)

Well, I think I can confidently close the books on this one now...I went back to the link someone else on the web gave to me showing a supply list for Sexton, Inc. and there sat Pinata on it. I'm going to assume that it lost its tag and was a left over or something so they gave it the boot.

It matches w/ all the ID specs I can find on it - right down to the apple scent. (I know I said I'm not good at scents, but if there is one I'm compairing it too...well, that I can do :) .)

Thanks again Bren - glad you happened by here!

Oh, and I forgot to water it last night and the heads drooped a little more than usual... now they look like the colors in the pics, lol.

Brandy

Bookmark   July 30, 2005 at 4:57PM
More Discussions
Three many petalled roses: yellow and pink/apricot - lots of pics
Hello! First let me tell you that I am not at all aware...
karatepop
Please help identify this rose
Hello everyone, I saw a video on YouTube about roses...
jesusortiz2691
What rose is this on the cover of "In search of lost roses"?
I am sorry I know it is probably like looking for a...
kingcobbtx9b
identify this amazing rose for me please!!!
Hello I woiuld greatly appreciate if any of you could...
lcadem
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™